Hops headache?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I have this wierd problem. One which I have never before had. I have so many kinds of hops that I cant figure out how to work the ones I have never vtried into a recipe.
Below is the recipe and my initial thoughts on the hops.
15 ltr batch OG 1053ish
Maris Otter 1.5kg
Joe White pale ale malt 1kg
flaked tritticale 250gr
crystal75 200gr
Caraffa 3 150gr
soft brown sugar 150gr
black patent 50gr??????? all pitchet with Notty slurry.
Hops
Columbus(15.2%) 9gr(about 1/3 oz)@60
Columbus 9gr@15
Nugget(13.7%) 9gr@15
9gr of each @10
Glacier(5.8%) 20gr@5
Columbus 28gr(1oz)@1

The main question is if these hops will work well together. I also have an oz of Chinook that I could use and sh*t load more Glacier.
The beer was originaly going to be a brown porter and went over towards( if such a thing exists) an English take on a CDA.
Cheers for the feed back in advance.
Lee:confused:

I'll bite ... :D

I've not tried glacier before, but it appears to be a fuggles derivative ... so a pleasant hoppiness, with maybe a touch of earthiness.

Nugget is in a similar boat. Columbus is more dank & piney.

I think many combos of hops can yield good results. Better to make sure you match your IBU/SG ratio for the beer style.

If you are still not sure, then keep all your bittering additions @ 60 mins. All your flavor additions at 15min-10mins. And your aroma hops at 2mins or less. That is an easy way to keep the hops focused on their purpose.

And of course, some dry-hops of that extra 'fresh' hop aroma can be nice in a lot of styles...

I see nothing wrong with your hop choices, or schedule... Just check your IBu's.
--LexusChris

Thanks very much LexusChris.
I forgot to add the dry hop additions there.

Im now thinking 150gr each of carafa 3, crystal and chocolate malt. Will do away with the black malt.
For dry hops I reckon I will go with 1/2oz of Simcoe(left over) and a whole bunch of Glacier. Brew day should be a week today.

Back