GF fat tire clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i_heart_beer

Reaction score
Last week a brewed a gf fat tire clone. The recipe included sorghum, unsulfered molasses, and brown rice syrup. This is my first gf I'm doing for a friend. This also only my second extract brew. O.G. Was 1054, and after a week( I stole a gravity sample today) I'm at about 1042. I was just putting this out there to see of anyone who was familiar with these recipie could give some input. Thanks!

image-3683185999.jpg

image-2131839913.jpg

This is the recipe I followed...except, I didn't add any yeast nutrients. And I used us-04...

image-910534469.jpg

Did you rehydrate the yeast before pitching? What temperature did you pitch at, and what temperature are you fermenting at? Only dropping 12 points in a week is kinda weird...

I pitched somewhere around 68deg. not higher than that. Fermenting at about 60deg. maybe up to 65. No i didn't rehydrate the yeast, so far between two extract batches and two ag biab stovetop batches i pitched one pack dry for each 5gal. batch and haven't had any issues yet. On the same day i pitched the yeast in the gf, i pitched another us-04 in an ag batch of haus pale ale and that batch has been fermenting right next to the gf and pulled a sample of that tonight too and that's down to 1010.

What I will most likely do is grab another sample next week and see if the gravity is still dropping. At that point if it is down another 10 pts or so ill just let it keep working. If its talking I sweet time ill buy another pack and try re-pitching. I really appreciate the input and advice. Thanks.
Maybe you could suggest another gf recipe for me to try? What did you think about the pictures, did they look to be about right as far as the krausen in the fermenter and the color/ugliness of the sample i pulled? Thanks again and sorry for the birage(sp) of possibly annoying questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok....so, more than a week since I've pitched the us-05 and I've only dropped down to 1028...I'm beginning to think that leaving out the yeast nutrients was a terrible idea. Is there any way to salvage this batch?

image-358249193.jpg

im a newbie and maybe im wrong but i think you can put a tsp of yeast nutrient in the primary and hope for the best.

tommyguner03 said:
im a newbie and maybe im wrong but i think you can put a tsp of yeast nutrient in the primary and hope for the best.

I'm pretty green myself and I had that thought too. I was, however, under the impression that the yeast nutrients had to be thrown into the boil. I'd have to save that as a last resort. Before I ::gulp:: dump it...

Just curious, have you heard/read that putting the nutrients into the primary can be done, or was that kinda just thinking out loud?

Back