Pumpkin refuses to carb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murppie

Reaction score
Hello again everyone! I decided to brew a pumpkin over Labor Day weekend. The brew day went pretty well, ended up adding some extra pumpkin pie spices to primary and secondary fermentation. Had more crap in it than ANY beer I've ever made so filtering it from primary into secondary was a real treat.

Anyhow, I put it in a keg a few weeks ago (maybe 3 by this point?) and have the gas at 10PSI. Initially I had problems getting beer out because there was some slimy sludgy stuff in the beer that was creeping up the beer line, but got that all out. So now I've got this awesome tasting pumpkin beer, but its seriously under carbed. It has a very minimal head to it, but it still just has a flat feel/taste to it. Any thoughts? No leaks in the keg system, the other beers are properly carbed. Do I need higher PSI to get this bad boy ready?

As always, thanks in advance for the help.

When I use the "set and forget" method I usually have the Psi at 12....maybe thats your problem. What tempature are you keeping the beer at?

10 PSI at 40F will give you 2.3 atmospheres of CO2 in about 5-7 days, which is comparable to a standard commercial ale (2.2-2.6 or so). If you aren't getting any carb, either your temp might be high or you have a leak.

Are you seating the o-ring seal by hitting the keg with 30 PSI before you bump down to 10? If not, you might have a slow leak right through the top. Those are hard to detect, but they'll ruin your carb!

I was just going to post the same question. My pumpkin ale is behaving the same way. I've been brewing and kegging for years. This is my first pumpkin beer and the first one I've had trouble carbing. I cubed the pumpkin and baked it with lots of brown sugar sprinkled over it to caramelize. I'm wondering if there something in the pumpkin or the way I prepared it that is causing the problem.

Back