First 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petry121

Reaction score
I am doing my first 10 gallon batch this weekend. Should I expect anything different from a traditional 5 gallon batch?

Here's what I am brewing:

Denny Conn's
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter ::: 1.079/1.017 (6 Gal)

Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)

13 lb.- 2-Row Pale Malt
2.5 lb. - Munich Malt (15 L)
1.5 lb. - Brown Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (120L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (40L)
1.25 lb. - Chocolate Malt (edited - Thanks Denny)
Extras :
Kentucky Bourbon (Jim Beam, Knob Creek, etc.)
Real, Whole Vanilla Beans (Extract just won't do)
Oak Chips or Cubes

Hop Schedule (37 IBU)

1 oz - Magnum Hops (60 min)
1/2 oz - E.K. Goldings (10 min)
Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at about 68° Add Vanilla Beans after primary - rack 7 to 14 days
Add Bourbon at bottling (1 to 1.75 cups - don't overdo this!)
Infuse Bourbon beforehand with Oak Chips/Cubes if you want.

Is it as simple as doubling the recipe? And has anyone tried this recipe?

You should expect....

MORE BEER!!! :)

But other than that it just takes a little longer (getting up to boil temps, transfers, etc) in my experience. But it's much less time than a second brew day.

Piratwolf said:
You should expect....

MORE BEER!!! :)

But other than that it just takes a little longer (getting up to boil temps, transfers, etc) in my experience. But it's much less time than a second brew day.

Just as Piratwolf says! I'd just add that depending on your system be prepared to be lugging twice the weight! Hop utilization doesn't change until 20gal so you're good there. Enjoy your brewday and enjoy twice the beer!!!

Yes, Just double the recipe. That recipe assumes 70% efficency, You'll just have to adjust grain bill and hops to your yours once you figure it out.

Will take a little longer to get to boil and to cool down. Otherwise everything is about the same. You just have more beer at the end!

Denny's porter has been in the bottle 3.5 weeks and I had a taste with a friend this weekend. Very rich beer. Mine ended @ 1.019 from 1.083 with a mash temp of 151. Shoot for 153-155.

What are you mashing this monster in? I've done 26lbs in a 10 gallon tun and it was most painful.

Oh ya... that sucker is a good porter... i used oak cubes for a couple weeks... i really like it

I stuck that recipe in BeerSmith 2 and scaled it from 6 to 10 gallons. It matches color and IBU's. Simply doubling everything wont work unless you really meant you were doing a 12 gallon batch, not 10. If you would like me to post up the adjusted recipe, let me know!

I'm going to brew it too. Not this weekend, but soon.

:mug: Cheers!

I would imagine there is some difference in hop flavor/aroma in a larger batch if cooling takes longer, less of an issue in a porter than a pale or IPA of course.

That would be great if you could post the adjusted recipe for a 10 gallon batch.

I am mashing in a home depot 10 gallon igloo cooler.

Thanks for all your help.

kosmokramer said:
Oh ya... that sucker is a good porter... i used oak cubes for a couple weeks... i really like it

Just out of curiosity, why did you use the cubes instead of the chips?

Ok. I'm posting EXACTLY what BS2 gave me. I have not brewed it, so just be aware of that. I only scaled the base recipe (malt and hops) the rest is really to taste. I did compare against a 6 gallon batch and it matches SRM and IBU.

22lb 1.0oz Pale
4lb 4.0oz Munich
2lb 4.9oz Brown
1lb 14.7oz Chocolate
1lb 8.6oz Crystal 120
12.3oz Crystal 40
1.624oz Magnum for 60 min
.812oz EK Golding for 10 min

If you want me to scale anything else let me know. But the oak, bourbon etc. is to taste. A good starting point for those (in my unprofessional opinion) is to double the quantity, then multiply by 0.84. That will get you real close.

Cheers :mug:

*EDIT-I use an HD cooler as well. It works very nice. I only see about 1 degree drop in 60 minutes (as long as the lid is on and you can leave it be).

Back