Dry hop 2 times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostforatime

Reaction score
I was thinking of dry hopping 2 seperate times. First with one type, then rack and then dryhop with another. Has anyone tried this, or will I be able to tell that I did this at all.

I would just throw both types of hops in at the same time. the aromas are going to meld anyways as it ages

Is there a point to continuous hopping? Most suggestions seem to indicate that it is pointless but Dogfish Head brewery claims it really is what set their IPAs apart. Maybe there is a subtle difference in a double dry hop vs. mixing the hops? You won't know till you try it.
Now I would guess you won't be able to tell the difference, but its not that hard to perform the experiment. Just make sure you brew identical batches with both mechanisms so you have something to compare.
Craig

CBBaron said:
Is there a point to continuous hopping? Most suggestions seem to indicate that it is pointless but Dogfish Head brewery claims it really is what set their IPAs apart. Maybe there is a subtle difference in a double dry hop vs. mixing the hops? You won't know till you try it.
Now I would guess you won't be able to tell the difference, but its not that hard to perform the experiment. Just make sure you brew identical batches with both mechanisms so you have something to compare.
Craig

sounds like experiment time! :D I would brew one batch and split it between fermenters after the primary. that way you are sure you have everything the same exept dry hopping.

Last year I had a batch that I dry hopped three times with three different hops about a week each. I just kept changing the hops out until I was happy.

Back