Reducing Hops Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranman481

Reaction score
I enjoyed my first ever brew (as did everyone else that tasted it) and would like to brew the recipe again. I would like it even better with slightly less hops flavor. To acheive that, should I reduce the amount of hops the recipe calls for and boil for the same amount of time or use the entire packet of pellets but for a shorter boil time? Although I liked it as it was...I want to love it.

You would reduce the amount late additon hops. The longer you boil them the ore bitterness you get and flavor you loose.

I was under the assumption the late addition was for aroma and the packet that is added first is for flavor. At least that's what I got from the recipe instructions.

Was it the bitterness you didn't like? Or the hop taste? Usually, early hop additions are for bitterness, while hops added for about 20 mins are for flavor. Aroma hops are added very late, at 10 or 5 mins.

AnOldUR said:
According to that chart you get more bitterness than aroma or flavor from flame-out additions. :cross:

The chart is a little confusing. Rule if thumb, bitter hops at beginning of boil, flavor 40 to 45 minutes in and aroma 10 to flame out.

If you want less flavor, either put less in at the normal time or put the same in closer to the end of the boil so they aren't in for as long.

h22lude said:
The chart is a little confusing. Rule if thumb, bitter hops at beginning of boil, flavor 40 to 45 minutes in and aroma 10 to flame out.

If you want less flavor, either put less in at the normal time or put the same in closer to the end of the boil so they aren't in for as long.

Agree. That's what I was trying to say with that chart. Personally I like the chart but I can see how it could be confusing

I don't see getting bittering at the end,like at the beginning. I use a cooper's pre-hopped can as a base that has bittering only. Pretty low to medium bittering at that. With hop & DME additions,I'm mainly going for balance,flavor,& aroma. The aroma/flavor additions provide very little bittering when aroma/flavor hops are used for these 2 steps. They are low AA% for a reason. That being more aromas & flavors,rather than their small bittering contributions becoming overpowering by using bittering hops at this stage.

Back