New Hobby, need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brinkemp

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster (roof!)

I have a question regarding my current strawberry wine recipe process. I have been reading various recipes and confused several of them together.

This is what I have done so far.

Day 1
15 lbs. Strawberry's, cleaned, washed, and crushed in 6 gallon pail.
10 lbs. granulated sugar.
1/4 tsp. pectic enzyme (as directed on bottle)
1 1/4 tbsp. Tannin
6 tsp. Acid Blend
5 Liters (approximately) boiling water
Covered with a towel for 24 hours will stir throughout the day.

Day 2 (not done yet)
5 tsp. yeast nutrient
Yeast (K1-V1116)

Can you seasoned winemakers provide me with direction? Am I heading in the right direction? What should I do next after pitching the yeast? Should I change anything? How long should I wait until I rack this? What do you think I will get for alcohol content? Plan on measuring SG tomorrow.

Thanks, sorry for all the questions. I do appreciate all of you who provide their experience on this site. And I am only trying here, hopefully start a new hobby.

Your recipe looks alright, but you did not mention the use of campden tablets. They are necessary for sanitation and preserving the wine for any length of time (use 1 per gallon). If I was going to question anything I would ask what your total volume is. 15 lbs of strawberries doesn't computer into a volume for me, plus the sugar. I can understand 5 liters, but why not use U.S. measurements? I suppose you have nearly 2 U.S. gallons. Next, I would suggest buying juice next time, water is fine, but juice will add a little something (a lot of something really, maybe too much)
I will suggest that next time you first crush the strawberries then add water/juice to desired level then take a sg reading. Based on that reading you can determine how much sugar to add. You may want the alcohol anywhere between 10-14% just based on how you want to do it. It is difficult to take a reading of a fresh fruit they all vary in sugar content, plus the various additions of sugar (or juice) make it nearly impossible to tell what kind of alcohol level you will get.
The first 24 hrs is just for the benefit of the additives. So, on day two activate the yeast in 100 degree water and allow it to get going, then continue just like day one. Yeast needs oxygen to multiply so do not put an airlock on it, it will cause the yeast to stall. The towel allows air in, but keeps bugs out. For the next few days stir the wine a few times (at least twice) the mixture should froth and bubble, so don't stir too vigorously at first.
Take hydrometer readings for the next few days when the sg reaches 1.01 or so rack it into the secondary fermentor then put the airlock on it. This can take 3-5 days or so, the hotter it is the less time it will take generally.
Once racked leave it alone for some time, then occasionally rack every three months or so. I imagine it may take a little while to get the wine to fall clear with all those little seeds, but maybe not.
Once the sg is stable you can bottle it. If I can pass along one word of wisdom I have learned from making wine, always wait a little longer. Once you are positive the wine is done wait one more week.
You can measure your alcohol with a vinometer if you ferment the wine dry (but it's still not super accurate) or if you are any kind of sommelier you may be able to guess the alcohol content based on smell and legs.
Welcome to the hobby, hope this has answered all your questions and then some.

I would also say putting strawberries into a nylon mash bag would help a ton also. They kinda disintegrate into mush that is hard to separate when it comes time to rack. I recently made three batches with strawberries... All included 10# sugar.

Strawberry Watermelon
10# strawberries & 13# Watermelon

Strawberry Date
10# strawberries, 3# dates, 2# raisins, 1# mystery candied fruit

Strawberry Peach
8# strawberries, 11# Peaches

I then filled the 6 gallon bucket up as much as I could without it overflowing during fermentation. End up with about 5 gallons of wine in the end.

Thanks to both of you for your advice, people like you make this site enjoyable.

This morning I lined an extra fermenter with cheese cloth and emptied the must in to this collecting the strawberry pulp. I then tied of the cloth and will let it steep until tonight (24 hours after starting) where I will squezze as much juice from the bag as I can. Also, this morning, I added campden tablets (thanks Zwetschgen). I will wait until tomorrow morning to pitch the yeast (24 hours after campden tablets added). All of this is covered with a towel.

Again, thanks, I will try to keep you all posted. Any and all tips/hints/ideas are appreciated.

I will be honest I don't like to wait, and I have been known to add the additives wait only a few hours then pitch the yeast. I've never noticed anything horrific about my wines when doing this, but as a beginner it may be benefitial to learn the right way.
I am sure you are aware, the beer guys will stress it a lot more, but everything needs to be sanitized.
If you plan to sweeten your country wine you'll need potassium sorbate, read the instructions and follow them to the t. I am the newly educated owner of one shattered wine bottle because I rush things along (don't even ask how many corks I've blown!) Always wait longer!

Back