Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norest

Reaction score
im on my 5th brew now , i bought a brewers best IPA kit , every time i buy a brew kit i usually pick up a white laps yeast that goes with the kit i bought , i have had much luck with W.L. and wanted to stick with them . The kit i bought used Nottingham yeast with no specific type of yeast strain . i forgot to buy the W.L. yeast and used this yeast instead. The Fermentation was quick and violent , with in 4 hours i had a churning carboy . it actually popped my airlock. but heres my problem it stopped with in a day . is this normal for a dry yeast? its not totally stopped yest bust it only makes 1 bubble for every 5 that a batch i started the day before makes. should i get a W.L. yeast and re pitch it ? think it will be ok?

Norest said:
im on my 5th brew now , i bought a brewers best IPA kit , every time i buy a brew kit i usually pick up a white laps yeast that goes with the kit i bought , i have had much luck with W.L. and wanted to stick with them . The kit i bought used Nottingham yeast with no specific type of yeast strain . i forgot to buy the W.L. yeast and used this yeast instead. The Fermentation was quick and violent , with in 4 hours i had a churning carboy . it actually popped my airlock. but heres my problem it stopped with in a day . is this normal for a dry yeast? its not totally stopped yest bust it only makes 1 bubble for every 5 that a batch i started the day before makes. should i get a W.L. yeast and re pitch it ? think it will be ok?

Nottingham is a quick and clean ferment. I'd check the s.g. if you think you might have a stuck ferment, but I think it's just finished. As long as it's at room temperature, and not too cold or too hot, that is.

Yes and it'll be fine.

Nottingham is a specific strain and a very good one.
Check the gravity and youl nknowwhen it's done.
I've have ferments complete within 2 days on Nottingham. It Is quite tolerant of lower fermenting temperatures so a lower temp can help slow it a bit.

Theres a recent thread on the Nottingham Fan Club.

Back