Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used WLP013 London Ale with this recipe? I'm getting ready to brew a ESB and want to pitch the slurry from that batch into this recipe.

I bet the yeast would be fine as far as a good tasting beer goes, I used us-05 which is pretty different and still tastes great. Are you planning to wash the yeast? This is a fairly low IBU beer and I wonder about pitching the entire slurry with trub and all from an ESB into it. It maybe totally fine but perhaps washing the yeast may be a good idea to avoid bringing more bitterness? The WLP013 yeast by the specs carries though more hopps bitterness also. I'm sure it will be very good either way but if you are wanting it to taste like Yoopers then I'd either use the same yeast or wash the yeast to separate some of the trub.

I just kegged min a few minutes ago and it tastes great.

IMG_3518.jpg

I bet the yeast would be fine as far as a good tasting beer goes, I used us-05 which is pretty different and still tastes great. Are you planning to wash the yeast? This is a fairly low IBU beer and I wonder about pitching the entire slurry with trub and all from an ESB into it. It maybe totally fine but perhaps washing the yeast may be a good idea to avoid bringing more bitterness? The WLP013 yeast by the specs carries though more hopps bitterness also. I'm sure it will be very good either way but if you are wanting it to taste like Yoopers then I'd either use the same yeast or wash the yeast to separate some of the trub.

I just kegged min a few minutes ago and it tastes great.

I have no intentions to wash the yeast. The plan is to pitch about 300ml of the slurry or more if I find through research that I need more.
The ESB is only going to be 35 IBU so I don't see how that can effect the bitterness of this beer. I may be wrong?
Basically I want to avoid buying English yeast strains back to back for back to back English beers.

Yeah, I'm sure it will be fine, I was thinking maybe you were going to dump the new beer into the old fermenter and use the entire slurry trub and all. It still may have been fine I would have washed it to be cautious. This beer tasted good in the kettle, fermenter, and the glass. I used us-05 for lack of inventory at my LHBS, so I knew it wasn't going to taste the same. In hind side I should have chosen us-04 but your strain is much closer to the original than mine was.

David

I notice that it's getting harder to find the Briess' black barley. If you can't find it, a good sub would be coffee malt or roasted barley.

Black barley isn't as ashy/acrid as black patent malt, so if I couldn't find it I'd try the coffee malt as a sub first.

Yooper, or anyone, I just picked up the grains from the LHBS and the guy said black malt is the same as black barley.. So now that's what I got crushed up in my grain bag.

I need to go to a different LHBS tomorrow to find some light chocolate, is there any other adjustments I should make to account for using black malt instead of black barley? Some way to balance the ash/acrid? I am in no way a recipe designer yet, any advice would be appreciated.

Hey

Been looking to brew an oatmeal stout but want to kick up the ABV a bit. Locally Hoppin Frog makes an excellent oatmeal Russian imperial stout. Would I just up the grain bill a bit proportionately along with hops? So increase all the ingredients by 10%?

Thanks.

Scott

I was hoping to plan an oatmeal stout in the pipeline and I've stared at Yoop's brew for a while now; however, my LHBS doesn't carry Pale Chocolate malt or Black Barley malt.

Skip it? Sub it?

Help me out Party People! :rockin:

Yooper, or anyone, I just picked up the grains from the LHBS and the guy said black malt is the same as black barley.. So now that's what I got crushed up in my grain bag.

I need to go to a different LHBS tomorrow to find some light chocolate, is there any other adjustments I should make to account for using black malt instead of black barley? Some way to balance the ash/acrid? I am in no way a recipe designer yet, any advice would be appreciated.

Well, it's too late now but it's NOT the same thing. Black barley is a darker roasted barley. Coffee malt is a similar grain from what I can tell, but roasted barley would be fine if you can't get black barley.

Hey

Been looking to brew an oatmeal stout but want to kick up the ABV a bit. Locally Hoppin Frog makes an excellent oatmeal Russian imperial stout. Would I just up the grain bill a bit proportionately along with hops? So increase all the ingredients by 10%?

Thanks.

Scott

An RIS is really different, in my opinion. I wouldn't use this recipe to get something like BORIS, if that is what the stout you mean is.

I was hoping to plan an oatmeal stout in the pipeline and I've stared at Yoop's brew for a while now; however, my LHBS doesn't carry Pale Chocolate malt or Black Barley malt.

Skip it? Sub it?

Help me out Party People! :rockin:

Coffee malt? (That's by Simpson's). That could be used for both the pale chocolate and the black barley, sort of, and it would just be lighter in color from what I guess. If they just don't have anything at all similar to pale chocolate or black malt, I'd try roasted barley for the black malt and maybe Carafa I for the pale chocolate. That's just guessing- I've never done it but it seems like it would be an ok sub.

For the pale chocolate subbing half the amount with chocolate is about the best you can do, but not truly a substitute, there really isn't a sub for it.
Personally if they don't have black barley I would use roasted barley and maybe up the chocolate malt a little, it'll make the end product a little lighter in color, but will still keep it from being acrid.

Well, it's too late now but it's NOT the same thing. Black barley is a darker roasted barley. Coffee malt is a similar grain from what I can tell, but roasted barley would be fine if you can't get black barley.

An RIS is really different, in my opinion. I wouldn't use this recipe to get something like BORIS, if that is what the stout you mean is.

Coffee malt? (That's by Simpson's). That could be used for both the pale chocolate and the black barley, sort of, and it would just be lighter in color from what I guess. If they just don't have anything at all similar to pale chocolate or black malt, I'd try roasted barley for the black malt and maybe Carafa I for the pale chocolate. That's just guessing- I've never done it but it seems like it would be an ok sub.

Yeah, no Simpson's, I think.
Here is what I am working with! Although yes, they have Black malt (phew!) Great shops, tons of experience, especially Brewhaven. Awesome staff.

http://www.brewhaven.on.ca/At_Home.asp?Grouping=Home Brewing Ingredients
http://www.dannyswineandbeer.com/buy/beer-making/grain-malts

Yeah I have been researching a BORIS like recipe. Any thoughts?

It's been a long time since I've had it, but Fred told me that it was a huge seller for him and I remember we had the "plain" and the barrel aged version with Fred and my dad. I haven't seen Fred or his brewers in years, and don't feel I can just call them up now and ask them, though. I bet it was 2011(?) when I was visiting him and had BORIS- so my memory is probably faulty about the characteristics.

I do remember that it is much bigger, roastier, higher ABV, etc- just much bigger in general but definitely far roastier than anything I've ever done. This beer is nothing like it, not even close- BORIS is hugely roasty.

how do you think this would be with some bourbon oak chips in the secondary for a bit?

See post #714

Thank you. But that's my question ... is "Black barley" as mentioned in the recipe and post #714 the same as "Black malt", the product I linked to. I've found some sources indicating they are not the same, thus my confusion.

Thank you. But that's my question ... is "Black barley" as mentioned in the recipe and post #714 the same as "Black malt", the product I linked to. I've found some sources indicating they are not the same, thus my confusion.

It's not the same as black malt ( usually called black patent malt). Black barley is essential " roasted barley " 500L.
Briess has a 300L roasted barley ( a light version) and a 500L "black barley" ( essentially roasted barley).
They call it black barley to differentiate the two.

See post #718.

It's been mentioned probably 20 times already if not more, but in short: NO, "black malt" is not the same as "black barley". "Black malt" is malted, "black barley" (or "roasted barley") is not.

In that post yooper explains that they are different. I had the same question. I inadvertantly brewed a batch of this yesterday with black patent malt instead of black barley. We'll see how it turns out.

It's been mentioned probably 20 times already if not more, but in short: NO, "black malt" is not the same as "black barley". "Black malt" is malted, "black barley" (or "roasted barley") is not.

Thanks so much, that's very helpful. Sorry to ask something that's already been addressed but I was having trouble understanding the differences.

Ok...so I know black malt and black barley are different. Where do you buy Black Barley from though? I can't find it anywhere.

I currently have an IPA fermenting for 5 more days at 67 degrees. Would like to brew this tomorrow. Should I wait until next weekend when my chamber is empty to ferment at 64 degrees? Or will this make a huge difference?

Yooper, thank you for your contributions to this website.

Thank you MagicMatt.
Brewing tomorrow.
I'm stoked.
Compared to my other AG brews, this was my cheapest as well. Grain, hops and yeast was right around $30.

In that post yooper explains that they are different. I had the same question. I inadvertantly brewed a batch of this yesterday with black patent malt instead of black barley. We'll see how it turns out.

You'll be fine. I did this the first time round albeit intentionally and it was the best thing to hit my nitro tap for a while. I'm sure it is great from any serving method, but I'm a sucker for novelty.

Brewing it up again as I type. The first time around I also had no flaked barley around and the LHBS was closed on that particular day, so I added extra oats in it's place. This time I have it, so in it goes. Also adding a touch more of the non-base grains to try and get a touch more coffee-ness.

Going to give this a shot tomorrow.

I have some American oak cubes I would like to add into (a 1 gallon) secondary, possibly a couple vanilla beans.

The store didn't have wy 1335, so I had to grab S04.. I still don't have access to a cool place to ferment, so I hope 76-78 isn't too hot (sigh)...

Edit: going to see if I can find a ball bucket at the house and some empty water bottles. I started to read up on S04 after I posted this and it appears if I let it ferment at 78, it will just be a waste of time...

Mashing in this recipe right now! :mug:

Edit: and several hours later... I have 6 gallons of wort @ 1.053 O.G. !!!

Edit: and 3 weeks later it finished at 1.016, capped 61 bottles in total. It's a complex tasting stout! Looking forward to tasting it in another 6 weeks ( ;

Edit: and 2 days after bottling I couldn't stand it so I uncapped one... it fizzed! Used Denny's Fav 50, it was green obviously but seriously tastes like one of THOSE stouts that will get so good in a month or so. (think I will uncap a second one LOL)

Brewing this baby up today. My LHBS actually carries malted oats from Thomas Fawcett so I'm using those in place of the flaked oats

I just finished brewing this up. I'm using WLP005 since my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast. However, today was the first time I met or exceeded both my pre-boil and post-boil gravities. I've been slowly and carefully adjusting my technique and my equipment profile in BS2 and it's starting to pay off. Looks like a grainier crush (.030) works better in my particular setup. And I think I've got my equipment profile to include dead space and boil-off rate dialed in.

Now I just need to order a couple new thermapens since the one I had wandered off. Silly kids, thermometers are for RABBITS.

Smelled delicious, Yooper. This will be me second recipe of yours that I brewed and I hope it's as good as the first (Pale Ale).

Brewed this recipe this weekend. It was the first time I hit ALL my numbers correctly, i think ive figured out my wonky mash tun setup. Very excited for this brew.

Mom said it was bubbling away this morning (I brew at my parents, no space at my place).

Searched the thread, saw only old references to "thinking about trying" but nothing about whether anyone used Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley with this recipe. Ritebrew is out of Denny's (Wyeast 1450) but I have some 1275.

Thoughts? Feelings? Random synapse misfirings?

Anyone try subbing the hops with something they have on hand? Don't feel like running to the LHBS. Thinking of using EKG as a sub or maybe just some magnum to hit the IBU's.

EKG or Magnum should be fine. Its only a jittering addition so they're not contributing any aroma or flavor.
I used Calypso in mine just because they're 13% AA so I didn't need much to hit the IBU's.

EKG or Magnum should be fine. Its only a jittering addition so they're not contributing any aroma or flavor.
I used Calypso in mine just because they're 13% AA so I didn't need much to hit the IBU's.

"Jittering" addition

Sorry, I know what you meant, but it's still a LOL

Ive used both Goldings and Columbus. Just hit the right IBU and you're fine

Back