Cherry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga1ba2

Reaction score
I racked a Midwest Cherry stout into secondary 5 days ago after 12 days in the primary. There was no bubbling in the primary for about 5 days. I was disappointed with the SG. The OG was 1.043 and when I racked it was 1.020 . I expected a FG of 1.010-12. I felt the temperature was a bit too high 72 so I placed a wet towel on the secondary and now the temp is 68. Bubbling has started again about every 5 minutes with some foam on top. Is this good or bad or something else? :confused:

I'm assuming you used fruit in the primary. Did you remember to add 0.008 - 0.010 gravity points per pound of fruit per gallon of water?

Getting additional fermentation after racking isn't uncommon. But I'm starting to think it is quite common with fruit beers. For my peach cream ale, I added my fruit to the secondary. With it, I waiting until all activity stopped in the primary. Then I racked onto the fruit in the secondary. I let it sit in the secondary until activity had been stopped for 4 or 5 days. I then racked to a tertiary. Fermentation restarted within an hour again and went for an additional 4 days.

:off: A bit off topic but i have heard so much about cherry stouts and porters.

My problem is every cherry beer I have tasted has seemed like cherry cough syrup to me :(

I'm not one to sit with a cup of Nyquil by the fire! hah

do you think it is from more economical extract? James @ basic brewing suggested maybe it was the amount of cherries.

I love cherries and usually cherry flavored products, but beer with cherries so far has been repulsive to me!!!

I would love to trade a beer with you ga in search of a cherry beer I like! That is of course if you bottle. I plan on starting to bottle a small portion of my beers starting with my dark pumpkin ale and feedthebear's Peach Cream Ale. Anyone else with a cherry line too! :D

cheers!:tank:

My only experience with Cherry beer is Kriek Lambic which is fermented with sour cherries. In the U.S. chokecherries are used to reproduce Kriek Lambic style beer.

I can kind of understand the "why" a cherry stout. If done well it could have a cherry chocolate flavor to it. But I think you're right in that it would run the risk of having too sweet of a malty flavor to it. I'd probably go with cherry wheat or cherry in a dry beer. But that's just me.

I've made two batches of my Cherry Wheat Ale. Both have turned out great! Beer with cherry flavor, but not over powering. ABV of about 6.8% or so.
I add 5 cans of Del Monties Dark Cherries that I puree in the blender first and add it to the secondary. It changes the base wheat ale to a dark red color. After carbination, you get pink foam! I don't trust extracts too much, or rather I don't trust myself when it comes to extracts. But this way, adding pureed cherries to the secondary always the ale to condition with the fruit. I imagine if I poured cherry extract into the batch right at bottling, it would make for a very strong cherry taste, which I wanted to avoid.
And yes, when I add the cherries to the secondary, the batch goes back to foaming up and bubbling again. I normally do a third racking for a few days before I actually bottle the brew.

ga1ba2 said:
I racked a Midwest Cherry stout into secondary 5 days ago after 12 days in the primary. There was no bubbling in the primary for about 5 days. I was disappointed with the SG. The OG was 1.043 and when I racked it was 1.020 . I expected a FG of 1.010-12. I felt the temperature was a bit too high 72 so I placed a wet towel on the secondary and now the temp is 68. Bubbling has started again about every 5 minutes with some foam on top. Is this good or bad or something else? :confused:

Let me know how it turns out - thinking of making that kit :mug:

I made that exact same stout a few years ago. If I remember correctly, it's basicly a stout with cherry extract that you add at bottling. It was a good beer, but I couldn't get much of a cherry flavor out of it. Other people I had tast it could though. I think I was just looking for a stronger taste. I may have to try that on again. Cheers, :tank:

andylegate said:
I've made two batches of my Cherry Wheat Ale. Both have turned out great!

Was it anything like Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat? I gagged at that one. Seriously.

Needless to say I didn't finish the glass.

I'm actually rather fond of the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat myself. If you ever get a hold of the Tastefully Simple beer bread mix, use this beer. Phenominal bread, especially toasted.

This kit does use cherry extract added at bottling. I hope it will have just a hint of cherry, I am very happy with the unexpected fermentation in the secondary. The beer has a very nice color and very fine bubbles rising to the top. I normally keep my brews in secondary 2 weeks that will be in 6 more days. I havn't taken a gravity reading since racking to secondary, I don't do more than 2 or 3 readings because I hate wasting that much beer. I'll report my progress. Thanks all for your interest.

Personally, I found the cherry flavor in the Sam Adams beer to be too overpowering. Now, the wheat is subdued itself, but it was still, in my opinion, far too dominant.

The flavor will be subtle. I had a hard time "finding" it in the overall flavor, but, like I said, other people were able to taste the cherry. Good luck. Keep us up on your results.
Cheers,:rockin:

Back