fermenting 3gal batch in 5gal carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valicious

Reaction score
I made a 3gal batch of mead and stuck it in the primary about a month ago. I'm looking to transfer it to my glass carboy for some very long aging, but I only have 5-gallon ones. Is there anything I can do to make it so the mead won't be adversely affected?
I don't want to top it off with water because that would water it down. Would adding a bit more honey (like a cup) to cause more fermentation (thus producing CO2 to create a seal) be ok?

My plan is:
One month in primary *check*
6-8 months in a carboy
1-2 months additional aging in the bottles

I'd buy a three gallon carboy. You don't want to oxidize the mead, and you have way to much headspace to fill with sanitized marbles.

wow....I never thought of that using sanitized marbled to solve that issue....GENIUS!

I agree, an investment in a 3 gallon carboy may be your best bet. Or just make it a 5 gallon batch :)

Do you know anyone who kegs? You could take the carboy and have them shoot some CO2 into it, then cap it off.

I'm just worried that I'll never really use them again....which sounds likely

Psh, yes you will. If you ever want to split a 5-6 batch of beer to throw in some additions (e.g. oatmeal stout; take 1/2 of it and add some oak cubes, bourbon, vanilla bean, blueberries, puree cherries, or whatever you want and have 1/2 regular oatmeal stout and 1/2 vanilla oak-bourbon oatmeal stout or something).

Ok, you've sold me. I'll buy a 3gal Better Bottle from Brewmaster's with my next order

Don't be afraid to call BMW and talk to Ed if you have any questions or if he forgot to add something to your order or something of that nature. Ed is awesome ;o

I have a keg and a CO2 5lb, I just need to get it filled.

How would I go about doing that?

Simply take the QD off the end of the gas hose and stick it in the top of the carboy. Turn on gas and shoot some CO2 in for 20 seconds (just guessing here). I've done it to top off a 15 gallon conical that had 10 gallons of beer in it. Left the beer in it for another few weeks and when I came back to it there was still a nice layer of CO2 according to the nose burning sniff test. Beer was great.

I wouldn't use co2 to top off a mead. One, you want to have it degas over the period it's in the secondary, and the co2 will disapate over time. Also, you'll be racking again, probably a couple times, and a three gallon carboy is what you really need for a three gallon batch of mead.

Back