Rookie O.G. question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IncredibleMulk

Reaction score
Brewed a Boston Ale Mini-Mash from AHS today. Target O.G. was supposed to be 1.045, my O.G. was 1.0375. I realize that I probably did not extract enough sugars from the grains, but what are the ramifications to the overall taste and flavor of the beer? What are the options to raise the O.G. to the correct level?

Explain your process. There might be something you did that reduced the efficiency of the mash. Also, did you mix the wort throughly? If not the extract may not be completely incorporated into the wort. That could give you a low reading.

I followed the directions exactly per AHS. I steeped the grains at 155 for 45 min in 2.5 gallons of water, brought back to a boil, added extract, boiled, added hops at correct times, cooled wort to 80 degrees and added water to bring up to 5.25 gallons.

the taste of your beer should be fine it will just have less alcohal than expected. you could add more pale DME to get your grav up. and next time top up to 5 gallons instead of 5.25.

It sounds like the majority of the sugars are coming from the extract, in which case I'd wager that either the wort wasn't fully mixed with the topping off water when you took the reading, or your hydrometer isn't calibrated. Also, did you correct your hydrometer reading for temperature? 1.0375 @ 80 degrees is actually closer to 1.040.

:rolleyes:

Yeah...so, thanks for the help...but I did mention it was a "rookie" mistake. I forgot to compensate for the temp and the hydro reading...gotta add for the higher temp since the hydro is calibrated for 60 degrees...gonna go have another brew now!

Also, did you correct your hydrometer reading for temperature? 1.0375 @ 80 degrees is actually closer to 1.040.

Thanks JuanMoore, that was EXACTLY the problem.

Thanks again for the fast responses...got it tucked away in cool dark place, just waiting for the "magic" to happen now! :D

Back