Darker Layer of Beer on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mds2150

Reaction score
So I'm working through my first batch, and doing my best to relax and not worry, but I'm not sure what this mean. I noticed before I racked to secondary that the beer at the top of the carboy was a little darker than that beneath it. I chalked it up to the remains of the krausen...

Now its been in secondary for a day, and I look and see this same dark layer...

Whats going on here? My OG was 1.045, and I checked again while racking and it was 1.012. Any ideas?

This sounds normal to me. Without seeing a picture, I can't be sure, but it sounds like yeast settling out.

Yeast reflects light. So when the beer seems cloudy, or brighter, it's because you're seeing more yeast in suspension and the light is tricking your eyes. As the yeast drops out, the layer of "yeast free" beer on top will appear darker. Watch for a few weeks and that layer should slowly drop until the whole carboy is darker.

Your beer is clearing, the yeast is stettling out, so it is not uncommon to have two different layers of beer in a carboy..just relax, it will all be fine when the time is right.

Thanks for the info and reassurance guys, I guess I just didn't think it would settle this quickly.

It is just a bit below where the carboy starts to curve, but there is some limited curvature at this point.

In any case, I suppose all I can do is let it sit and see what happens!

Just wanted to point out... Secondary isn't really necessary for most beers. If you're adding something, or it's a very high gravity, it may benefit from secondary. But, most beers can be left in the primary fermenter for 3-4 weeks and go straight to bottles. You still need some of that settling yeast to carbonate your bottles anyway.

Look anything like this?

Photo_11.jpg

If so you're fine.

It actually looks EXACTLY like that, good to know. Thanks again all!

Yeah that's normal looking. In the pic, the lighter color is caused by stuff floating in the beer. yeast, protein, etc... Wait for all that stuff to settle out before bottling.

When the dark layer goes all the way to the bottom, the beer is clear and ready to bottle.

Back