Ic turning wierd colors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cellardoor

Reaction score
I've used my Ic for about 15 batches so far and my cleaning regimen has stayed mostly the same. After a brew I rinse all the hops off and then just dunk it in my bucket of oxi-clean until all the equipment is ready to be put away. It then gets a nice rinse again and stored until next brew day. This is the first time these weird colors have appeared. I hope the photos show the color differences well. To me it looks like copper that has been torched for a while but nothing of the sort has happened. Also its not on the bottom or the top of the IC, but rather in the middle portion. I know there are also some warnings out there about copper and oxi-clean but there has never been a problem with me and I know the_pol even did the copper experiment.

So what do you guys imagine happened? I think I'll just do a star-san dunk later tonight to see what happened.

Larger resolution pictures are available upon request as well.

Thanks for any imput.

07-14-09_IC_002_Small_.jpg

07-14-09_IC_005_Small_.jpg

07-14-09_IC_006_Small_.jpg

07-14-09_IC_007_Small_.jpg

*EDIT* also if a MOD could change the misspelling of the word weird in the title that would be great. Makes me look like less of an ass.

Well it may be the oxyclean and/or starsan that is affecting it. You will find that many of us just rinse ours with a garden hose to get any hops and trub off. Then just add it to our boil kettle to sanitize it at brew time.

No chemicals ncessary.

There's really no need to go beyond that, especially if it causes odd oxydation and discoloration.

Looks like normal oxidation to me. The bright sections look like they were just protected. Maybe you gave it a quicker than normal rinse and didn't get all the Oxyclean solution off?

I imagine the Star-San rinse will take care of it.

Looks okay, hops can cause odd colors. Give it a wipe-down with 4% distilled vinegar. Anything that doesn't come off won't leach into your wort either.

Looks okay, hops can cause odd colors. Give it a wipe-down with 4% distilled vinegar. Anything that doesn't come off won't leach into your wort either.

Yeah, or put some vinegar and water in your boil pot, add the IC, and boil it a little while. It will come out SHINY!

(Rinse it well afterward)

Back