LHBS in Columbus, Oh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecancel

Reaction score
Anyone know of any good home brew stores in/near Columbus I only know of Gentiles in Grandview and the Wine Makers Guild in Dublin

Unfortunately those are the only two that I know about. Will watch this thread to see if anyone knows of others.

I'm hoping to hit up The Winemaker's Shop on N High street this week. It appears to be the only one in Columbus that's an AHA member shop.

The first place I went to was Titgemeir's in Toldeo and it was really cool. :)

I get practically everything that I don't order online from Roger in Grandview. He is a wine person, yes, but a number of local brewers work there, and they don't screw around. They have a good stock, and reasonable prices, and I have never failed to get what I need. He just got me a bunch of Sake yeast, properly refrigerated, in much less time that from online, and the same price no shipping. They have a ton of hops right now, and will carry what you use regularly. They have 20 different malts and a grinder. Never had a complaint there. I've known him for a while, and he runs a good shop.

Nina at the wineMaker's shop also is very good. Her husband is the brewer at Barley's. You will get better advice here, but the prices are very high and I have found the inventory to be lacking if you are an extract brewer. If you are all grain etc etc, she probably does better than average on prices. Nina is a fantastic person, and has a VERY broad selection of yeast. It is a fun place to shop.

Usually I go to Gentiles. He is a lot closer to my house, and I can get a six pack of something commercial to drink while I am brewing if I am out of homebrew. Plus you can get a pizza from Mama Mimi's. Tell him I told you to go, hopefully he won't kick you in the nuts. ;)

S

Winemakers is my preference. The Winemaker's Shop | Homebrewing Equipment and Supplies in Columbus, Ohio I am on a first name basis with Nina and enjoy going in to see her. I would say Nina (pronounced with a long I) is more of a wine maker, but seemed fairly versed with brewing as well. She has tons of yeast and hops. I am an all grain, and she usually has what I need. Having said that, she is expensive. Hops at $4.25/oz and grain at $2.50/lb and smack packs at $8.95 and her equipment is all expensive as well. Quarts of Star San at $34 is ridiculous, Nina.

Gentiles does have a good selection of grain, but it think their price is high now at $2.50/lb. I think their yeast is now $7.95. Most times I have been there they have had little to no hops and their white labs vials were close to expiring. Their equipment and such is more reasonably priced. I have seen some people's grind that came from there and had a bad experience myself once, and there is no way I would have my grain ground there unless it was by the people who didn't do mine and the others.

My advice, brewing ingredients at Winemakers and equipment/additives/etc at Gentiles. If the price of either goes up much more, I will be trying to buy everything online.

I'll take everyone's advice and hit up both places tomorrow. I used Beersmith to put together a shopping list for everything I need; should be fun. :)

For me...

Hardware-- The Winemaker's shop.

Ingredients-- Northern Brewer.

Shipping for ingredients is low enough to cover what I would spend in gas to get to Clintonville and back, plus wait in line seemingly endlessly if someone shows up at the Winemaker with a shopping list of ingredients before I get there.

I'll have to check out the whine makers shop I've never been there. I've gone the the whine makers guild store in Dublin and they only have extract kits, no grains no hops no yeast only kits (lame) and very little equipment. I do like gentiles but many times when I go in there they don't have what i'm looking for. I know they will go out their way to get if ordered for me but heck If I wanted to order the stuff I could do it online. I use the local store to get stuff Today. This is why I started the thread to see if anyone knew of any other shops so far I've learned of 1 and I'll definitely check it out

I only ended up being able to hit up the Winemaker's Shop today and I was really impressed. I was way too excited to get down there and I'm sure I talked about a hundred miles an hour to the poor lady working but I couldn't help it. Brewing my own beer is so exciting!

I picked up a couple of 5gal glass carboys($38 each) and ingredients for my second batch of beer. Prices seemed about on par with everything I've seen online. Certainly not anymore than it would be for shipping from an online shop plus I got it right away and had someone to talk brew with. :)

Definitely pleased with my visit and will be stopping there for my needs in the future.

there is pharmacy in Zanesville that has some good prices I bought 5 glass carboys for 30 dollars looked like they had a good selection comparded to my local winery .

Back