feed the yeast!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I am making a couple of yeast starters... one from Bells Two Hearted Ale and the other from Bells Pale Ale. They have stared fine and I am wondering when should I "feed" them again? Should I wait till the activity as slowed?, stopped?, or would that be too long? Any input would be greatly appreciated!:mug:

'

Is Bell's actually using two different yeasts for each of those ales? You may actually be making two starters of the exact same yeast. No biggie though. That just crossed my mind.

Are you planning on stepping up your starters? How big are they right now? If you're not planning on bringing them up in volume, you really don't have to "feed" them at all now. They'll be eating away on the wort in the starter. I always add yeast nutrient into my starter for maximum performance, so if you haven't added that yet, you still could do that to feed them some more.

Is Bell's actually using two different yeasts for each of those ales? You may actually be making two starters of the exact same yeast. No biggie though. That just crossed my mind.

I don't have any facts but I've always heard that Bell's uses their house yeast for everything except lagers and specialty beers

Better for what I will pitch that is. When time for pitching comes should i try to pour some of the starter wort off of the yeast before I pitch it? Or possibly do like a mini rackto siphon it off? There are a couple of about 3 cups in one and about four in the other becouse the have been boosted

Can you outline the steps you've gone through to start the yeast from the bottle? Oberon is perhaps my favourite beer, and I'd like to hear how I can copy it. Thanks

I basically used the method outlined in John Palmers book How to Brew. make a starter with about 2 cups of clean water and about a third of a cup DME. itbis a good idea to add a little yeast nutrient as well. boil them for ten min cool to about 80. while it is cooling sanitize your starter jar air lock and anything that touches the starter after it is boiled. pour the cooled starter into the starter jar sanitize a bottle opener and a couple bottles of beer. open the beer and pour out all but about a quarter inch from the bottom. into a glass, do not let the bottle touch the glass. swirl the left over beer to mix the yeazt and dump it in the jar. use a couple bottles to get a good amount to start. put in a stopper and airlock and wait. it may take a couple days to see any activity. you may want to add more wort later after activity dies down to boost the colony size to a pitchable amount. hope that helps let me know if there are more questions i will see if I can help

Latest posts

Back