2009 NHC entries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
It is almost that time. So, what are you going to enter?

Here is my list, I think!

Classic American Pilsner – 2C
Scottish Wee Heavy – 9E
American Stout – 13E
Russian Imperial Stout – 13F
American India Pale Ale – 14B
Saison – 16C
Belgian Specialty – 16E
American Barley Wine – 19C
Chile Beer – 21A

Southwest Regional.

14C. IIPA (Hopacles '08)
16D. Bière de Garde
19A. Old Ale
12C. Baltic Porter
23 Sticke Altbier

I'm thinking about my soured RIS as well, but I'm not sure what cetegory to enter it in although I'm guessing it would be 23.

Entered:

11a March Brown Mild
22b Howl At The Moon Smoked Porter
14a Scrum Bag IPA
8c Old Boot
17a Spurhund Zunge

For sure:

Half-Baked Swedish Rye - Belgian Specialty
Merry Goes Round - American IPA
Wintry Mix Porter - Brown Porter
Belgian Dark Strong
DECA-dent - Saison

Still aging, so only considering at this point

Orange Kitty Zoom - Standard Amer. Lager
Freiheit Pils - German Pils
Marzen

Northeast region

Flanders Red
Wheat Lager
Pale Ale
Barley Wine
Brown Porter
Robust Porter
English Mild
Special Bitter

10c american brown
13e american stout
14b ipa

This is my first comp ever and I'm so stoked to mail 'em out. they're bottled and ready to go - I tried to get 'em at peak flavor - hope they make it 3-4 weeks.

12 entries paid for:

2C Classic American Pilsner
9E Strong Scotch Ale
12C Imperial Porter
13F Russian Imperial Stout
14B American IPA
14C Imperial IPA
16A Witbier
16C Saison
16E Belgian Specialty – bugged RIS
19C American Barley Wine
21A Green Chile, Coriander and Cumin Classic American Pilsner
22C Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
27B Farmhouse Cider

Maybe I should get busy and brew them...

Oakland here I come!

If it's not too late, I'm going to enter the following:

9E Strong Scotch Ale – Me Lads
14B American India Pale Ale - Hoppy Ride 2
19B English Barleywine – Magnum I
19C American Barleywine – No Name
23 Specialty Beer – Blonde Ale, its 8.3%abv!

I would love to enter my Imperial IPA, but that thing is simply not ready yet. That beer takes some time for the taste to round out! Next year, that is if I can hold off!!!

Mailed mine off today figgering it would take at least two days to get there:

10c american brown
13e american stout
14b ipa

plus I added

APA
Blonde Ale

Just did my final bottling (from keg) this weekend...I've got

9E Strong Scotch Ale
10B American Amber Ale
13E American Stout
14C Imperial IPA
19C American Barley Wine

13 brews in the end. All ready to mail out. I will be sending them the first of the week to the SW Regionals.

I really enjoy this comp. It is the only one I get excited about. So, here we go...

Imperial IPA
Imperial Stout
Imperial/Baltic Porter
Belgian Specialty - RIS with Vinnie's bugs
Saison
Wit - sometimes you have to dance with the devil
Classic American Pilsner
Fruit Beer - RIS with cherries and raspberries
Herb/Spice/Vegetable Beer - Roasted Green Chile, Coriander and Cumin CAP
Strong Scottish Ale
Common Cider
American Barley Wine
Wood Aged Beer - Bourbon RIS

My wife told me I needed to give them names other then the style names. So, I named them after Ramone's songs. Gabba, gabba, Hey!

My 5 entries are off and on their way.

I'll be judging a couple flights in the 1st round of the east region, and I accept bribes. :D :p:)

This will be my first NHC competition....and only my second ever. Is it a big deal if you submit a clone or clone derived recipe?

This will be my first NHC competition....and only my second ever. Is it a big deal if you submit a clone or clone derived recipe?

No, go for it. If you can perfect a clone of one of the BJCP commercial examples of the style, your beer will likely score very well.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure the "clone route" was an acceptable way to go. I think I missed the taste of the clone (an RIS, which I missed the gravity by a lot) but ended up with a very nice stout anyway.

Thanks.

Just entering one this year...
10C American Brown Ale

But I will be judging, so if you are sending your beer to the South region I might get to taste it.

Got my entries bottled up on friday and dropped them off in Seattle on saturday so they can be driven down to Portland (Yah! no shipping fees)

I entered:

Munich Helles - 1d
Dortmunder - 1e
Blonde Ale - 6b
Scottish 80/- - 9c
Strong Scotch - 9e
Imperial IPA - 14c
Weizen - 15a
Dunkelweizen - 15b
American Barleywine - 19c
Fruit Beer - 20
Specialty - 23

If I had more time to bottle stuff up I probably would have sent a few more over.

Good luck everyone!

I sent in 5 entries and listed "Homebrewtalk Brewers" as my club.

Oatmeal Stout
ESB
Irish Red
American Barleywine
Highbush Cranberry Sparkling Cider

My competition brews for 2009 turned out icky. I decided to toss out my plastics and go back to glass. SO far, things have been great since the change back to the tried and true.

will compete again next year :)

South Region:

6a Cream Ale
8a Ordinary bitter
13b Sweet Stout
14b American IPA

Some of you entered a lot of beers! That must have been expensive, even with an AHA membership! I'm getting pumped for the judging, this is my first BJCP comp (took 3rd in a people's choice once).

Some of you entered a lot of beers! That must have been expensive, even with an AHA membership! I'm getting pumped for the judging, this is my first BJCP comp (took 3rd in a people's choice once).

I'm not sure if everyone knows, but if you get a BOS in a BJCP competition you should get a coupon for a free entry to NHC. I had some of those, so that helped offset my costs

So even though judging was to start this past weekend I find out that the NW region isn't judging until the last possible weekend, 24th - 25th. The anticipation is going to kill me! ;)

So even though judging was to start this past weekend I find out that the NW region isn't judging until the last possible weekend, 24th - 25th. The anticipation is going to kill me! ;)

They are going to do some judging on the 18th. Then a bit more on the 24th and the rest on the 25th.

I'm going to make it over for the judging on the 25th

It would guess that it would be 2-3 weeks or so at a minimum.

In the East region we did 1 flight yesterday, 2 today and there's still one tomorrow.

West region judging doesn't even begin until next weekend.

Patience, young Paduan. :D

Is the NW judging at Hopworks? I heard that might be the case....?
KB thanks for the info on the dates....sucks that it is pushed back to next weekend. I am terrible at waiting for homebrew comp. results.

Is the NW judging at Hopworks? I heard that might be the case....?
KB thanks for the info on the dates....sucks that it is pushed back to next weekend. I am terrible at waiting for homebrew comp. results.

Yep NW judging is at HUB. Theres a session on friday and saturday

I was at the South region judging this weekend. One session Friday, two Saturday, two Sunday, and there are still a few categories to be judged. I tell you, there were a lot of really good beers this year. I judged a few flights with beers scoring >40 that did not even make it to the mini-BOS.

Back