Sweet Smell Coming from Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sps0301

Reaction score
Hey everyone -

I have my first solo brew in the primary right now. I'm used to brewing at my buddies house and leaving the fermenter there so I am not sure of 100% of what happens when allowing the yeast to work their voodoo.

I am brewing a sweet stout with some rather sugary adjuncts (molasses and maple syrup). The room that the fermenter is in smells very sweet now (kinda like maple syrup). I checked the bucket and everything is sealed tight, including the air lock. Is it normal for a sweet odor to come from the bucket?

Thanks all.

Kinda like bananas maybe? Amyl Acetate (among many other things) is an ester produced in large amounts by the yeast during the peak of fermentation. It's normal and will be gone from the beer by the time you drink it (unless it is a Hefeweizen).

So sweet smells from the fermenter are normal.

Thanks for the reassurance and yes it actually does have a banana quality to the scent. Hopefully, I will have a good brew on my hands once all is said and done.

You used to brew and leave your beer at a friends house??? Dude and you still wound up with beer?? That must have been one heck of a friend!

Got to love the smell of fermentation!! Cheers

Yeah. Well the equipment was his but I helped pay for ingredients and such. My old apartment didn't have the space for my own setup. My new place is much bigger so I got my gear for Christmas.

Yeah. Well the equipment was his but I helped pay for ingredients and such. My old apartment didn't have the space for my own setup. My new place is much bigger so I got my gear for Christmas.

I'm looking for a basement space to cellar ATM, so don't sweat it. I'm choosing the "friend" carefully, as I've had plenty of offers. Welcome to the board.

And no, this isn't a request. I think I have a friend that I can trust to only drink half of it:drunk:

Back