bananas & peanut butter elvis beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scinerd3000

Reaction score
so in an altered moment last night right as i was falling asleep i thought about elvis. I know- somewhat creepy but i mean the guy liked peanut butter and banana sandwhiches. This got me thinking- i have around 4 pounds of overly rpe bannanas and alot of time on my hands, why not make a fruit beer. Heres what i have, any comments welcome.
The Elvis

SG:~1.060
25.6 IBU
--------
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
55.2 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
36.8 4.00 lbs. Banana-Overripe 1.035 5
4.6 0.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
3.4 0.38 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
8oz deoiled peanutbutter

1.25 oz. Fuggle 25.6 @ 60 min.
(possibly additional styrian goldings or saaz)

I also am going to add 8 oz deoiled natural peanutbutter. Im basing this off of this: SleezySherm » Beer Recipes For additional deoiling- once its crumbly im going to spread onto a n oven sheet and roast at low temperature to draw out any excess oils making sure not to burn it.

Im going to boil the bannanas and skins per yooperbrews banana wine (grain bag) and then add the fruit into the grain as i mash. The liquor i get off the bananas will go into the wort as i drain first runnings. This should draw out some more flavor. Ill mash for medium to medium low body.

as for yeast i was thinking something spicy like a saison yeast.

I know you have bananas to use up, but what about using a hefeweizen yeast to kick off the banana notes? Might be interesting

Have you tried Well's Bananna Bread Beer?
It is the yum! IMHO.

Yours sounds tasty.

Uh huh, thank ya very much. But, please, ya gotta deep fry it for the king. then wrap it in bacon...

Thank ya ver much!

Sounds delicious. Any reason you went with fruit in the mash as opposed to in the secondary?

I figure the bannana is going to pack a punch anyway and im gonna get mkore sugars and flavor from it if i boil and mash it. Honestly this is a shot in the dark.....

I know you have bananas to use up, but what about using a hefeweizen yeast to kick off the banana notes? Might be interesting

i thought about that but i want more spicy flavor. I could use hef yeast and go for a colder fermentation to get the clove notes or i could just use the saison yeast. My house heats up to around 75 degrees which would give me waaaay to much banana. I would prefer the peanut butter comes though.

Uh huh, thank ya very much. But, please, ya

:) that sounds amazing. I dont know about a bacon banna beer. Bacon banana carmel icecream was on Top Chef...

Oh...My....God.....

If you brew this...then I would kill for a bottle....

I don't know whether I'm discusted or excited by this...but damn I would love to sample this, once....

i personally think you should make it as a dunkelweizen. use the bananas, but also get the flavor from WLP300 banana. use british grains and make it nice and bready...get the peanut butter flavor in there.

my banana bread ale is dead on. tastes kinda like it and SMELLS exactly like banana bread.
just a thought :mug:

I figure the bannana is going to pack a punch anyway and im gonna get mkore sugars and flavor from it if i boil and mash it. Honestly this is a shot in the dark.....

When I was putting together a recipe for a fruit beer I made, the hardest decision was determining where to put the fruit. I posted about it here, and listened to JZ's fruit beer episode, and determined that the best solution for the type of fruit I was using was to add to the secondary. I had a puree so it made decent sense at the time. I don't think adding it to the mash will give you significantly more sugars, especially if the bananas over ripe already. I'd be curious to see if the boil really gives you more flavor, as opposed to less too.

I dunno about using banana skins though. I didn't read Yooper's thread on the banana wine, so I don't know if there is a reason for it, but it seems unnecessary to me.

All in all, I think the two best places to add fruit are in the mash, or in the secondary, so either way I think you'll be fine. Just some fruit for thought, ok that was a bit of a stretch, but I couldn't resist.

i personally think you should make it as a dunkelweizen. use the bananas, but also get the flavor from WLP300 banana. use british grains and make it nice and bready...get the peanut butter flavor in there.

my banana bread ale is dead on. tastes kinda like it and SMELLS exactly like banana bread.
just a thought :mug:

i did consider a dunklewizen but i was afraid the banana esters in the yeast would compound with the fruit leading to waaaay overpowering banana.:ban: In the perfect world of my head im picturing a fairly balanced beer. I had considered peanut butter and jelly and bananas but i dont know if elvis would have approved.

wlp300...if thats the same as wyeast wienerstephan then i have that on hand. What temp would you ferment at for this? it would probably be around 72-75 without the wet shirt etc(vs 65-68)....that would make for hell of a lot of banana.

And as for the breadyness. i do think that would go well which is why i threw in the biscut malt. What specific grains were you thinking? I could swap marris otter for the pale malt and up the biscut to .75....

i saw this late last night when i was crawling around on threads. Im gonna go with the powdered peanut butter for peace of mind. The orders in for 2 jars of chocolate and two jars of regular. I figure i can use a full jar of the regular and half of the chocolate if i need to. That should blend nicley. I also like the idea of dunkelweizen because there isnt a chance in hell this things gonna clear with the peanut butter additions.

heres one of the threads i have been referencing:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/peanut-butter-porter-w-powdered-peanut-butter-61538/
1.5 jars of butter sounds like alot but according to his additions it didint come through as much as he would have wanted. I deffinitly wanna taste it but since its a lighter beer(stout vs dunkelweizen) i figure i should be ok with only 1 jar

you've inspired me to revisit and upgrade my banana bread ale.

this is pretty much the original grain bill:
6.00 lbs British Munich
4.00 lbs Red Wheat Malt
0.25 lbs British Chocolate Malt

and i'm thinking of adding:
0.50 lbs Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs Biscuit Malt (or maybe a belgian crystal)
0.25 lbs Carapils

for bittering, i'm thinking of using EKG, as it is soft, spicy and will compliment the chocolate malt.

WLP300 for ultra banana action and i'm going to throw some bananas in the mash for good measure :D

aha, yay, ya know, the King here. Next ya gotta brew me a meatloaf ale. I loves me some meatloaf, 'specially wrapped in bacon and deep fried. Why once I ate it at every meal for a month straight. Just ask Priscilla. Uh huh, thanyvermuch.

oooh, and don't forget the biscuits and red eye gravy...

I have 3 more beers lined up and then this ones goin in the kettle so if you think of anything else- post away. Im going with the powdered peanutbutter and i decided not to go with the hef yeast, Whatever banana flavor i get from this i want to be the result of the fruit. Im either gonna go with a WLP029 Kolsch or WLP001 or possibly just nottingham. I dont want the yeast to contribute too much. I also am going to swap the fuggle for hallertau. and up it to slightly under 25 ibu's. Im using marris otter instead of two row also.

Thanks for everyones help:mug:

Anything ever come of this brew? Very curious about a peanut butter and banana brew myself. It might even be too late to get this ready in time for Elvis' birthday.

used the wlp029 and this needs some definite tweaking. i fermented to hot and got some off flavors. I cooked bacon and steeped it in 99 bananas to leech the flavor....mistake number 2. Tasted ass nasty without the bacony flavor i was looking for. maybe the next ime ill try some smoked malt instead..... has potential believe it or not but wasn't as i pictured it. version 2.0 coming eventually.....feel free to tweak it and try

Version 2.0 In the works....Thoughts?

Here's the recipe im thinking....Changed completely from last time:
Elvis Beer- Bacon Banana and Peanut butter Porter

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.02 %
3.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 20.34 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.78 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.78 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.69 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
2.00 items PB2 (Powdered Peanutbutter) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Mash @ 152 for 60 minutes for light-medium body
Wlp001 cal ale yeast or wlp029 kolsch yeast

Cook 2# of bacon and render fat- add to vodka and let sit for 2 weeks, then add to secondary along with either bananas or banana wine i have left over.

Thats A LOT of smoked malt. I myself havnt used smoked malt before but i have heard you dont need very much at all. like 4-8oz in a 5 Gallon batch.

I would go with bananas instead of the wine. And I'd definitely add some Oats.

would be using rauch malt- not peated which is gnarly strong one....either way havent used it before- is 3# a alot for rauch malt? I figure it will bring out the smoke in the bacon...

Screw it...ordered the grain and PB2. Gonna go with the rauch malt and rack bacon vodka into secondary to supplement smokey flavor. Bananas are going in the boil since i don't care about pectin haze.....will post back Version 2.0 results

+1 on using marris otter instead of 2-row. The sweetness and body are needed in something like this. This is going to be a late Elvis beer. Big and over the top.

+1 on using marris otter instead of 2-row. The sweetness and body are needed in something like this. This is going to be a late Elvis beer. Big and over the top.

Haha yes it is! As for the marris otter- the flaked barley should add some body and keep in mind im going to be boiling bananas which will ferment down to almost a carmel sweetness. Plus there is a pound of crystal 40L. Between the three I'm crossing my fingers that i will be ok. The whole damn beer is a shot in the dark because its so odd.....well see what happens. I can always do Marris for V2.1 :fro:

6 gallon batch @ 70% efficiency....collected 6.75 gallons at 1.062 SG....Threw in a 700ml thick slurry of wlp029. Banana in the mash for good measure...

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.02 %
3.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 20.34 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.78 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.78 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.69 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
2.00 items PB2 (Powdered Peanutbutter) (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
8.38 items Bananas-Ripe (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 14.75 lb
Sparge Water: 3.85 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 19.18 qt of water at 166.6 F 155.0 F

IMG_20792.JPG

IMG_20781.JPG

IMG_20802.JPG

IMG_20862.JPG

Really freaking curious how version 2 will turn out! I've never thought of PB banana beer, but i must say it sounds delicious!

Made a rookie mistake- came down and saw no activity, no krausen, nothing for 3 days and without checking gravity, pitched a starter of wlp005 British ale yeast....oops! Still no acitvity and so i figured i was going to try some dry nottingham and checked gravity right beforehand and it had attenuated although not sure which yeast did the job...! 1.062 down to 1.016....6%, almost fully cleared and taste green but great. Excited to see how this keeps coming through...peanutbutter even with 2 full jars is subdued and slightly underwhelming. I am hoping as the beer fully attenuates and cleans up within the next week or so that more peanutbutter comes out. Contemplating adding more but i will wait and see.

Up next: rack onto mad amounts of banana's (not sure green, yellow or ripe or black)....Thoughts on this one? Think 8 will be enough...guessing maybe more considering 8 bananas would probably be under 2# for a 6 gallon batch....?

Great photos! I'm hoping/guessing you won't get the fat from the peanut butter coming out out of suspension later with the powdered peanut butter - perfect choice! I know that can happen with too much chocolate (actual chocolate, not chocolate malt) in a beer. Maybe secondary half of it with more peanut butter and compare the two. The smoked dubbel you have on deck sounds good too by name/short description, and I'm not even a fan of most smoked beers.

Great photos! I'm hoping/guessing you won't get the fat from the peanut butter coming out out of suspension later with the powdered peanut butter - perfect choice! I know that can happen with too much chocolate (actual chocolate, not chocolate malt) in a beer. Maybe secondary half of it with more peanut butter and compare the two. The smoked dubbel you have on deck sounds good too by name/short description, and I'm not even a fan of most smoked beers.

The dubbel is an alternate version of the one on my recipe list with cherry wood smoked rye malt. It is part of a contest in Philly that i got into...If i win judging i brew it for next years philly beer week- but everyone has to use the smoked rye...its the "secret ingredient".....

Great idea....I'm contemplating splitting this into 6 growlers after primary, do some with more peanutbutter, some with varying levels of banana and bacon and one just left as is.....tastes great and no congealing of fats yet....fingers crossed!

Pictures will be up tonight but just checked on it and it smells and tastes awesome. I used ripe bananas but only yellow- no black. Used 8 and it seems to be the perfect number because the taste is shaping up to exactly what i envisioned....

The banana in this darker beer are much more subdued than version 1. Tastes really well balanced, the banana comes through in almost a caramelized banana flavor at the end along with subtle smoke. I may have to add more PB but this is looking like its going to be the one.... Fingers crossed...

Update- this is sitting in tertiary. I have no idea what do because the banana faded so quickly that I am reluctant to add more. Peanutbutter is subtle. Overall this is an awesome example of a smoked porter but im missing the bananas. I am thinking of adding more PB and possibly yoopers banana wine (bottled 3 years ago) added to the beer? Thoughts?

262358_600758260481_201000847_32855296_5982461_n.jpg

261378_600758285431_201000847_32855297_6881630_n.jpg

The bacon extract
268443_600758300401_201000847_32855298_8222300_n.jpg

261453_600758325351_201000847_32855299_6292709_n.jpg

So where are you at with this now? Funny I was thinking of banana bread ale and adding peanut butter to it and making an Elvis beer...

What about adding banana extract to it?

this turned out good. Next time I make it I will use more bananas and another thing of peanutbutter...the peanutbutter flavor faded quicker than I would have liked. It is deffinitly getting brewed again....I haven't had a chance since though...

Hey! I know this is an old thread but I live a town over (Quincy) @scinerd3000 and I am gonna take a crack at a Fat Elvis stout based on where your recipe started and kind of play around with it (I want to make it an imperial stout although a dunkelweisen is also a very attractive option). Let me know if you're able to talk shop at some point! :)

Hey! I know this is an old thread but I live a town over (Quincy) @scinerd3000 and I am gonna take a crack at a Fat Elvis stout based on where your recipe started and kind of play around with it (I want to make it an imperial stout although a dunkelweisen is also a very attractive option). Let me know if you're able to talk shop at some point! :)

He hasn't been seen since August 2018 so I doubt you will get a response.

This beer reminded me of a Peanut Butter Banana Porter I brewed years ago for a club competition. I used hefeweizen yeast to drive some banana esters and the powdered peanut butter...it was definitely more a gimmicky beer but it didn't turn out half bad!

He hasn't been seen since August 2018 so I doubt you will get a response.

This beer reminded me of a Peanut Butter Banana Porter I brewed years ago for a club competition. I used hefeweizen yeast to drive some banana esters and the powdered peanut butter...it was definitely more a gimmicky beer but it didn't turn out half bad!

I used 13 oz of powdered peanut butter in the boil and it seems like a majority of it didn't dissolve. I'll know in about a week or so (depending if it reads well enough as far as gravity) whether any of that flavor actually found its way in. I am starting to feel doubtful of it though considering some of the things I am reading in other forums.

I grabbed some natural peanut butter extract from brewer's best to see if that will help. Any input on getting this down right is much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back