Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys-I'm making a 12.5g batch of this tomorrow in a professional setup (wooh! i lucked out!). Can I let this ferment for three weeks? Or is it super necessary to pull it out early?

The batch I just bottled sat for 5 weeks. The sample I tasted when bottling was great!

All set for Father's Day brew session with my old man.

image-3198732790.jpg

Update:
-Went into fermenter Wednesday June 5 w/rehydrated S-05 slurry
-14 hours later bubbling, but very thin krausen
-Some time Friday or Saturday the Krausen rose up a good couple inches (I was travelling)
-By Sunday night Krausen was down and airlock activity is almost nil (over 1 min+ for a bubble)

I'll probably wait a few more days yet to either transfer to secondary or just bottle. I would like it nice and clear though so I will probably rack to secondary for a few days at least.

I want to do a 2.5 gallon batch of this. I've done the stove-top all grain and stove-top partial mash, should I just cut the recipe below in half for the stove-top all grain, or would people suggest doing partial mash since I'm doing stove-top? Any other considerations since I'm cutting it in half?

Btw, I'm doing a small batch because of limited space right now. Will probably do a bigger batch eventually.

Here's the recipe (from the first post) that I'm planning on cutting in half.

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

I want to do a 2.5 gallon batch of this. I've done the stove-top all grain and stove-top partial mash, should I just cut the recipe below in half for the stove-top all grain, or would people suggest doing partial mash since I'm doing stove-top? Any other considerations since I'm cutting it in half?

Btw, I'm doing a small batch because of limited space right now. Will probably do a bigger batch eventually.

Here's the recipe (from the first post) that I'm planning on cutting in half.

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

I would do AG since you only need like 4.5 lbs of grain to do 2.5 gallons of this, piece of cake.

You will get less hop utilization so I would run it through a calculator or keep each hop weight at .15 oz instead of .125 oz to compensate.

To anyone who has added strawberries to this recipe...

How much did the gravity change after adding the beer to the strawberries? I was hoping to make a 11 gallon batch of this up and split half onto 6lbs of strawberries after primarying this for a week but I do not want it to dry out too much.

If I mash this at 150F, will my end result after secondarying this over strawberries be too dry? Should I bump up my mash temp to 152F just to be safe? I don't want to change the other half that does not have fruit too much so I need some help please!

You will get less hop utilization so I would run it through a calculator or keep each hop weight at .15 oz instead of .125 oz to compensate.

I am making a 2.5 gallon batch tomorrow and was just going to go with .25 oz of hops, with less utilization it will still be a little more hop flavor, but I love a citrus blonde.

LovesIPA said:
Bueller? Anybody?

I believe 001 is the same as US05, 1056 and Chico from SN. I use them every time I make this beer and it turns out fantastic. Maybe read through the thread to get quotes from others about this sub if you want more opinions.

Just brewed my second batch of this. Kept the recipe original except added .25 oz of citra at flameout. Split the batch between 2 carboys, one using us-05, the other using Conan. The Conan yeast is a monster and is chugging away!! Can't wait to try these brews.

LovesIPA said:
I just want to point out that this is post #3161 in this thread. :)

Haha very true.

To be honest all I really use is Chico. It comes out clean while allowing the hops to be unmuted. I use it on every ale I make except hefes or Belgians. If I need more body I just mash higher. The best part is that the yeast is free if you drink Sierra Nevada.

I plan on doing a side by side taste on this tomorrow. My first batch I did pretty much to the recipe. I still have 4 bottles from 4 months ago and have enjoyed this. My second batch, I dry hopped it with 1.5oz cascade and 1.5oz cent, so want to compare the two.

I brewed this last night. It's just my 4th brew and I'm still dialing some things in.

Followed BM's recipe for the most part, but I bumped the grainbill a bit to get 1050 OG for a 5% ABV. And I just couldn't resist throwing the remaining .5 oz each of both hops into the wort while chilling. I realize it might put off some of my BMC friends, so more beer for me!

I tried to go without hop bags and I think that was a mistake. I couldn't get the trub to settle, despite cooling it to the low 60's in 30 mins, so they kept clogging my auto-siphon and I ended up just dumping the whole kettle into the fermentor.

I rehydrated my Notties and pitched them but haven't seen any activity yet after leaving it overnight. I checked the swamp cooler water this morning and it was still at 55, so I may have started a little too cool. I expect them to get busy as I slowly let the temps rise to the mid 60's.

I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Thanks BierMuncher!

I brewed this last night. It's just my 4th brew and I'm still dialing some things in.

Followed BM's recipe for the most part, but I bumped the grainbill a bit to get 1050 OG for a 5% ABV. And I just couldn't resist throwing the remaining .5 oz each of both hops into the wort while chilling. I realize it might put off some of my BMC friends, so more beer for me!

I tried to go without hop bags and I think that was a mistake. I couldn't get the trub to settle, despite cooling it to the low 60's in 30 mins, so they kept clogging my auto-siphon and I ended up just dumping the whole kettle into the fermentor.

I rehydrated my Notties and pitched them but haven't seen any activity yet after leaving it overnight. I checked the swamp cooler water this morning and it was still at 55, so I may have started a little too cool. I expect them to get busy as I slowly let the temps rise to the mid 60's.

I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Thanks BierMuncher!

Ill be interested to see this APA version turns out.

Actually, I use Brewer'sFriend and it says this is still within style for a Blonde Ale. Either way though, as long as it tastes great!

Just had sample while bottling. Freaking amazing. Used Bells yeast. Might be my best beer. Too bad for my own recipes.

Since I bottled this on 5-12, and started drinking this month, it's a very smooth session beer !......Unfortunately, I had to use all cascade hops in the recipe, as I couldn't get the centennial. I'll have to do this again using the correct hops, but for now this all cascade ale is damn good !........

Thanks for the recipe. I brewed one keg as a gift for my firend's birthday party and everybody loved it, me included :) It wasn't clear as I expected, but it was my problem - the part of the brewing wchich I need to improve. Here is some picture from the party.

blondale.jpg

The beer is fully carbonated and it has been cleared with gelatin. All I have to say is this beer rocks! I want it on tap at all times!

This was my first All grain. I kegged after two week of primary. First tastes had me a little scared, but after 2 weeks in keg this beer is AMAZING! will def be making this again!

Brewing today, all grain mini-BIAB. Can't wait to try it! Those who have brewed it, how long have you usually fermented and then conditioned?

I just put mine in the carboy Monday night with Nottingham and it ferments out pretty fast. Mine is already clearing up. I've seen some comments on here that you could go as fast as 1.5 wk in the carboy and 1.5 in bottles. I'm sure that is not optimal. I've also read that its still good if you rush it but great if you give it more time. I'm trying to get a beer for 4th of July so I'm going with 10 days in the jug and 10 days in the bottle. FWIW.+

Made an 11 gallon batch of this last Tuesday. It is the 4 or 5th time I've made this beer. I changed it up this time. I added 5# of honey to it(mostly because I had it sitting around) and an ounce of Columbus just because I had that too. Pitched some rehydrated Notty on it and within three hours it had already started showing signs of activity. By the next morning it was bubbling hard. Good thing I used a blow off tube otherwise there would have been a mess. It will be higher in alcohol and dryer as well because the honey will ferment out. I love using this grain bill. It is a great beer as is and it is simple enough to showcase any little tweaks you make.

Just got done brewing 5g of this widely loved recipe. Hit all the numbers perfectly so I'm looking forward to tasting this one. I did use US-05 which seems to be well received in earlier posts. Pics to come in the weeks ahead.

Mine is done with primary after 7 days, just checked it and at 1.008, using S-05. All the numbers on this one have been dead on with Beer Smith's. Will keg today or tomorrow and let it carb/condition for a couple weeks.

photo.jpg

I'm thinking about brewing this again and splitting the batch. One batch I will use the Nottingham yeast and the other I want to try a saison yeast. Does anyone have any experience doing this with an american pale ale?

I brewed the all grain recipe on Friday 6/7, thought I sparged too much water so boiled an extra 15 minutes before adding hops. Ended up with less than planned for fermenting and hit 1.050. Dumb me! I went out of town (Savor, NY) and just got home. Too tired to bottle now so I have transferred to a secondary, BUT will not be able to bottle for about another 2 weeks because I am having knee surgery tomorrow and will be on crutches for a bit. I hope I have not ruined this batch. Timing has been terrible.

Any thoughts??? Maybe I should dry hope for a week or so until I can bottle? But really looking for that light, tasty summery ale.

Sheldon

I wouldn't worry about it. It will be fine in secondary for a few weeks at least.

I brewed 5 gallons of the all-grain today and I came pretty close to hitting all the numbers. The sample looked and tasted great. I can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread or not but I plan on using the yeast cake from this batch to ferment a clone of Stone's 15th Anniversary Black IPA.

thanks for the encouragement. I will post results in a few weeks. Neighbor is hosting a crabs cook out for his bday and I promised this brew would be ready.

I brewed a nice easy extract beer on Friday night, pretty similar to this. Steeped a little Crystal, used Pilsner dry extract and Centennial hops. It's bubbling away. I hope to have it on tap in a couple weeks.

I'm brewing a 21# version of this recipe. Doubling the pale 2 malt and adding 1# dextrine. Also adding an additional 1 oz mosaic hops and an additional .5 of both cascade and centennial. This is going down on Monday. Let's see how she does.

Just used this as a basis to do a ginger blonde. Hit my numbers perfect. Added 4 oz of shredded ginger root at 60 minutes.

Transferred this to secondary this weekend to free up a fermenter. Gravity was 1.008. Sample was excellent. Can't wait to get this one on the CO2.

I brewed 110 bottles of this recipe in April and I am about 18 bottles away from finishing them! Excellent summer brew, refreshing, tasty, pleases beer snobs but BMC drinkers will drink them!

Back