Cellaring Beer with a hot furnace keeping it warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
I have an issue. We have a half base-ment at my house and I want to keep beer stored down there in the dark at 55F. Sadly, the room is 64F when I check the thermometer I've installed. But, if I turn off teh furnace (which also creates our hot water), the temp drops to 55 within an hour. Any way I could some how insulate the furnace to resolve this issue? I was thinking of putting up some heat reflective insulating panels in a square around the furnace but that might cause it to overheat.

Any thoughts?

You can't cover the venting on the furnace outer panels,or it could dammage it. Maybe an isulated vessel for the beer?

You can't cover the venting on the furnace outer panels,or it could dammage it. Maybe an isulated vessel for the beer?

Thanks. I figured that wasn't possible. I wish it was a full-basement so the heater was in another part of the area. I turned off the furnace for a full 24 hours. GF hated not having hot water but at least the beer was cold

Back