Fermentation won't stop - Should I transfer to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrump

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a wine kit about a month ago and it is happily fermenting in the garage. It has been fermenting at 20 degrees for approximately a month now and although it has slowed it is showing no signs of stopping. The kit's instructions state that it should only take approximately 1 week to finish. What should I do? Should I leave it until it stops or should I transfer it to another vessel to finish. I'm concerned that the dead yeast or trub settling at the bottom might alter the flavour.

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

Dave

Hi,
I bought a wine kit about a month ago and it is happily fermenting in the garage. It has been fermenting at 20 degrees for approximately a month now and although it has slowed it is showing no signs of stopping. The kit's instructions state that it should only take approximately 1 week to finish. What should I do? Should I leave it until it stops or should I transfer it to another vessel to finish. I'm concerned that the dead yeast or trub settling at the bottom might alter the flavour.

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

Dave

If the hydrometer reading is where the kit instructions say (generally under 1.000), then transfer it.

Definitly check the current gravity with a hydrometer. Depending on the type of yeast/temperature (thanks for including that btw, it helps!), fermentation can take a month or more.

If you find your gravity to still be high, try stiring the yeast gently to re-suspend it.

If your gravity is close to 1.000 or below, a transfer is in order.

Hope this helps!

Back