Under appreciated beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rauchbier
Mild
Bitters
Berliner Weiss
CAP
True lambics
Low abv Saison

Mild ale - I am still excited at the thought of having one from a firkin in the UK some day.

Best bitters - nice, easy drinking session beer.

These are so simple to brew on a 3.5g BIAB all-electric set-up it is almost insane. I use a 9g pot with a 1650w element & a brew pot controller from KegKits. Get great efficiency & can easily handle the brew on my own. My favorite styles & my new favorite way to brew them.

I love a good California Common. Most people I know don't even know of the style unless they brew and only a few brewers I know have even made one.

English beers served at English temperatures are quickly becoming my favorite beer to drink. I like an IPA as much as the next guy, but crimony, man, the sun don't rise and set at the hop vine.

Belgian Pale Ale (swmbo's favorite style) seems to be forgotten. Dubbels, Tripels, Saisons, Wits, and Lambics tend to garner most of the attention within the Belgian styles.

I can occasionally get a 4 pack of DeKoninck here for about 12-15 bucks. I think it's getting here pretty fresh because I always keep my eye out for it. It is definitely one of my favorite commercial beers.

American Pilsner. I think more of these need to be brewed. Victory and New Glarus can't continue standing alone on this.

They're not alone, Oskar Blues, Full Sail, Red Hook, Fort George, Bayern...etc.

I just had some Red Hook Pilsner from the variety pack and wow was I impressed. It was a quintessential summer beer that helped me through an entire hot day of cooking.

I just had some Red Hook Pilsner from the variety pack and wow was I impressed. It was a quintessential summer beer that helped me through an entire hot day of cooking.

I just recently had that same variety pack and really enjoyed the pilsner. More flavorful than any pilsner I remember drinking any time recently.

Good old Irish Red Ale, maltier than the American taste bud and not so high on the ABV chart. Just a tasty brew.

I think this depends in part on where you live and what's generally popular there. I was down in Austin this week and there were lots of German-influenced beers. It seems like everybody produces an alt, whether they call it an alt or an amber. This seems to be a trend coming up to Dallas with the new brewers in the area. However, it was rare to find any English or Scottish beers other than an imperial stout. A lot of that can be undoubtedly connected to the rich history of German and Czech immigrants to south and central Austin.

A lot also just depends on what people want to buy. When drinkers have hard ons for high ABV/hoppy/sour/barrel aged beers, that's what is going to get produced a lot. However, in the past couple years there has been growing attention towards lower ABV styles so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of brewers shifting focus towards making lower ABV beers a larger part of the regular line up and higher ABV beers start to go into the limited or seasonal releases. It's a particularly smart move for new breweries because it's easier to keep costs down selling a $5 pint of 4% ABV/balanced beer instead of a $5 pint of 7% ABV/super hoppy beer.

Ordinary bitter, or anything sub 5% in most of American Craft beer, but ordinary bitter, even a fake a** American version, which they (breweries) seem to call ESB and make it with either Cal ale or a super clean English strain and Cascade hops... I'd rather it be more closer to the real, but still, when I'm at a place to drink, I'd like to settle in and drink a few, not get hammered after 3 pints.

Long winded answer to a simple question.

Gose!

It's a nice low-ABV session beer, and the tartness and salinity make it quite interesting for beer geeks but it's been (surprisingly) a crowd-pleaser to a lot of people I've served it to that don't drink a lot of beer. Perfect for a hot summer's day.

I've made a 10-gallon batch each of the past two summers... This summer I learned something -- I need to make 2 10-gallon batches per year. I ran out too quickly this year!

Altbiers have been my passion. its what I have primary brewed since the beginning. out of my last 100 brews probably 50 of them have been altbier variations. When I say altbier to people they look at you sideways. I say to the East coast people a commercial example is Long Trail and to the WC people I cite Alaska Amber as an example. I love every thing about altbiers, the taste, sessionability, profile, style. I identified it early on as underappreciated and decided to own it as my personal style and share this niche beer with my community.

Schwarzbier
Bitters
Vienna
Dort Export - it's a good alternative to making pilsners if you have minerally water.
Kolsch

I'm looking forward to making a dampfbier this year. It's a non-wheat beer with hefeweizen yeast.

I think ill o with the rest of you and say schwartzbier and mild's. I love both styles but most people when I hand them a beer and tell them it's a schwartzbier they give me a funny look

Sent from my iPhone

Wow. Since I posted in this thread initially Mild has become one of my favorite styles, and one of my house beers.

Session beers in general seem to be underappreciated. But I'd love to see more Milds and Bitters available.

I've never had a bitter, but I want to brew up a small batch. For inspiration, I thought I'd pickup a 20oz bottle at the liquor store. Nothing was labeled as a bitter or ESB. The closest style I could find was a Organic Pale Ale by Samuel Smith. So, I'd say bitters are definitely on this list. A new craft brewery in town keeps a mild in there general rotation. It's awesome too! More love for the milds our there!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

If you want to try a good best bitter recipe, look up the can you brew it thread on hobgoblin and omit the chocolate malt. Cut the late Golding addition in half and move everything but the bittering to a 30 minute whirlpool. I have fallen in love with this schedule, and everyone who visits my house seems to agree.

Ordinary and Best Bitters are getting harder and harder to find, at least around here. Coniston Bluebird Bitter and Timothy Taylor Landlord are two of my favorite examples (although I was only able to get my hands on Landlord once). London Pride from Fullers is easy to find, but like Fullers ESB, I think it's a little maltier than other examples of the style.

ESBs are a lot easier, but they're usually listed as English Pale Ale (and I believe usually a little stronger and less hoppy in the US than they are in the UK).

I've never had a commercial Ordinary Bitter from the UK, only domestic examples.

I agree, I only ever see ESBs commercially, and nothing is as hoppy as I like. I have become a big fan of the idea of making your own and drinking it fresh as the only way to get what you want from the style. Unless you live in the UK.

Back