Sam Summer Cloan newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G_Force_5

Reaction score
So I fiannly got around to my first All Grain brew. as you can see it is a summer cloan and it is winter here in NY better late than never. I dont mind it will get kegged (1st attempt) and I will rest it till spring. My Questions ----I followed this recipe but substituted dry ale yeast b/c that is what I had.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1007 German Ale-- Subsituted dry ale yeast (Safale us-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 29
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.1
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 D @ 65 deg
Additional Fermentation: n/a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): n/a
Tasting Notes: Taste is almost dead on to Sam Adams Summer Ale.
5 lb Pilsen (36 ppg 1 L)
3.5 lb Wheat (38 ppg 2 L)
.5 lb CaraPils (33 ppg 1.5 L)
1 lb Wheat - Flaked (36 ppg 2 L)
Strike with 3.8 gallons @ 162 (desired rest at 152)
Sparge with 4.2 gallons @ 170
1.5 oz Hallertauer (5%) @ 60
1 g Grains of Paradise @ 15
1 oz Lemon Zest @ 15
1 oz Hallertauer (5%) @ 5

My readings
OG -1.052
Gravity today 13 days later .998 (5.4%) tasted nice
The airlocked stopped bubbling after a week. Not sure if this is b/c of the yeast used?

What should I expect? is the yeast still working? How long can I leave this in fermenter? Also I did not strain the 1.5 haullertauer and left in fermentor but used a bag for lemon zest and additional 1oz that i removed before fermenting. what is normal practice?

I strain going into the fermenter. less trub at the bottom at bottling time,more beer for me. Plus the fine mesh strainer aerates the wort real nice. And are you sure your hydrometer is accurate? .994 is below the gravity of water @ 60F.

unionrdr said:
I strain going into the fermenter. less trub at the bottom at bottling time,more beer for me. Plus the fine mesh strainer aerates the wort real nice. And are you sure your hydrometer is accurate? .994 is below the gravity of water @ 60F.

I thought 1.000 was water. Just checked hydrometer and noticed it was broken on the bottom wtf now I wonder if og was correct

Yeah,that's what I meant. 1.000 is the gravity of water @ 60F. So .994 is just below that. I figured something was wrong. You need a new hydrometer.

Back