Fermentation Speed - Done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhiteDan

Reaction score
I have done alot of reading on this forum and have spent alot of time on here. So far you all have answered all my questions over the last 6 months of my beer endeavors, so thank you all VERY MUCH

I recently switched to doing 1 Gallon Mini-Mash All Grains so I could try a bunch of brews out. 5 Gallons at a time is hard to get rid of fast..... So I can play again. I did three of them last week, on the 23rd and 24th. An Imperial Stout, a Irish Stout, and a German Wheat. They were all dry yeast (due to 1/5 of a packet being hard with liquid) and rapidly fermented in ~68 degree room. 3-4 days later, they had all finished, and are showing a Hydro reading of 1.010 or 1.012, which is the FG for each.

Are they really done? I tasted them and they are wonderful. I have never had batches go this quick. They all had the proper OG before starting, and my 5 gallon all grains usually take at least a week to chew through the fermentation.

Should I go ahead and rack them?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Wier

A 3-4 day fermentation is pretty standard for an ale, especially at high temperatures (with the air at 68°F, the beers probably got into the low-mid 70s). Did you over-pitch significantly? A dry yeast pack in one gallon is going to be a ton of yeast. If you're used to using a liquid yeast pack in 5 gal, it could just be that you're used to seeing what an under-pitched fermentation looks like.

Regardless, I'd wait at least another 3-4 days before packaging, especially on the RIS. The yeast are still active for several days after fermentation ends, reducing some compounds that can lead to off-flavors.

I dont think I over-pitched it by much. I used a fifth of the dry yeast packet, or the best estimation of that I could do....

I will let them sit a few more days. Wheat is easy, I let it clear up in secondary first...

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back