Can you make a black and tan with Bass and Guiness Extra Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
So I got a Brutul black and tan turtle for christmas and I'm trying to make a black and tan tonight with Bass and Guiness extra stout (the kind in bottles). I pour in the Bass first then put the turtle on top. Then I pour the Guiness Extra Stout in as slow as I can without the beer running down the bottle. No luck yet, it all mixes together.

Do I have to get the Draught Guiness?

The extra stout wont flout like the draught will. I found out first hand...still tasted good though

So I got a Brutul black and tan turtle for christmas and I'm trying to make a black and tan tonight with Bass and Guiness extra stout (the kind in bottles). I pour in the Bass first then put the turtle on top. Then I pour the Guiness Extra Stout in as slow as I can without the beer running down the bottle. No luck yet, it all mixes together.

Do I have to get the Draught Guiness?

The best way I've found to make a black and tan is to get a really good head on the light beer before you pour in the stout. I usually shoot for around a 3 finger head, and then I put my spoon in (regular spoon) and pour the stout in very slowly. It seems to work best with Guinness, but I have got great separation with several different stouts.

I will try the Draught this weekend.

On a side note, since the black and tan wasn't working right I decided to drink a Bass by itself. Not sure if the Bass was old or what but it has a bad metallic taste.

I had a delicious black and tan at the bar the other day. Bell's Best Brown on the bottom, Guinness on the top. Brilliant!

The extra stout wont flout like the draught will. I found out first hand...still tasted good though

Me too.....

Although, I forgot how it tasted..

Draught in cans work better than the bottles for some reason.

E

Yea had a Black and Tan once with Extra Stout and SN Pale Ale, hands down best Black and Tan I had ever tasted, although it mixed and didn't have the pretty seperations. I am considering trying with SN and the Guinness Foreign Export Stout...

have to use a spoon w/ the guiness to achieve perfection...doll at the bar always does it this way..pretty easy...done it many times

I believe Guinness Extra Stout and Bass Ale have almost the same final specific gravity, so they're likely to mix. Guinness Draught also has a specific gravity of around 1.012-1.014, but has increased viscosity due to the nitrogen used.

Basically, if you have a nitro product like Guinness Draught or Murphy's or Boddington's or Tetley's in a can, it will float on almost anything.

If you know the final specific gravities of different non-nitro beers, you can layer them based on the specific gravity, with the heavier specific gravity beers on the bottom.

A bartender demonstrated this for me at the Big Time Brewery in Seattle. He knew the specific gravities of all of their beers and was able to layer four different beers in one pint glass. Looked pretty cool, can't recall what it tasted like.

Back