Need advice regarding Stone 11th anniv clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
Hey guys, so after doing 3 extract brews and 1 partial mash of relatively low-medium gravity beer, I'm attempting to make my first BIG BEER. I'm going to attempt a clone of Stone's XI Anniv Ale / Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA, with a few modifications. Here's the grain/hop bill. The original was taken from a thread on this forum:

9.5 lb -- Pale Liquid Extract
4.0 lb -- Pale 2-Row Malt
1.0 lb -- Carafa III (de-husked)
1.0 lb -- Crystal 60L Malt

3.0 oz -- Chinook (90min)
1.0 oz -- Simcoe (10min)
1.0 oz -- Amarillo Gold (10min)
1.0 oz -- Simcoe (1min)
1.0 oz -- Amarillo Gold (1min)

2.0 oz -- Amarillo Gold (1oz pellets, 1oz dry cones) (dry hop 7 days)
2.0 oz -- Simcoe (1oz pellets, 1oz dry cones) (dry hop 7 days)

Anwyays, this is my first 90 minute boil recipe, and I'm really concerned about my water volume. My first attempt at a partial mash was an AHS Oatmeal Stout, and after mashing in 2.5 gals and sparging with 2qts, I ended up right at 2gals. I thought this was pretty low compared to my extract brews, but I topped off to my gravity. It seems a bit watery, and I certainly don't want to make the same mistake this time.

Does anyone have any advice with regards to:

1) what vol should i start off with for mash? and mash for how long? I figure 60 mins

2) what vol of water to sparge with?

3) The original recipe was all-grain, so I converted it. Do I still need a 90 min boil? I'm thinking yes

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Back