My stove is WEAK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chitin

Reaction score
So, I have a tiny little apartment stove and, while it can get 3 gallons of wort to a boil (in an hour or so) it can never get to a ROLLING boil. Is there a solution? Should I buy a turkey fryer?

i had the same problem with my home cooktop. i bought a turkey fryer and bigger pot and never looked back.

the biggest PITA while brewing for me was worrying when/if i'd ever get a full rolling boil going.

I would suggest that if you're going to invest in a turkey fryer, you might as well invest in a quality set up. Get a banjo burner. It doesn't come with a pot but it's a sturdy, mean mofo that will get you to a boil in no time. If you have a smaller pot now you can still use it then upgrade later if you want.

Can you straddle your pot over two burners?

Keeping the lid on also helps.

Keeping the lid on is a bad idea. You need the full boil to drive off DMS, which can easily reform if you have a lid on. It is ok to get to a boil like that, but you don't want to be boiling with the lid on.

Keeping the lid on is a bad idea. You need the full boil to drive off DMS, which can easily reform if you have a lid on. It is ok to get to a boil like that, but you don't want to be boiling with the lid on.

Correctomundo. I should have qualified that.

There's a post on the forums about wrapping the kettle in that foil insulation.

However if you have a glass cooktop, it might be shutting off too often to prevent damage to the cook top surface, especially if your pot is more than a half inch wider than the burner diameter. glass tops are great...unless you wanna boil huge pots. an old electric coil or a natural gas top works better for those situations.

I had the same problem. I found a Turkey fryer for $15 off of Craigslist. Awesome buy. I used it Sunday and it worked great. I had the power on low and it boiled 4 and 1/2 gallons easily.

I have the $65 dollar one from Ace and it is awesome. Full 6 gal boils in 15 minutes. As a matter of fact I turn the gas down so I don't scorch the wort.

If you do go AG and full boils then you should invest in a wort chiller.

Back