Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrombley

Reaction score
As a beginner I'm not sure how long I can store grain. I thought I would put it in a PET plastic canister, uncrushed, and pull a vacuum from a one way check valve on the top. This would eliminate any o2. Would this be advisable and how long will it last. Thanks

I store 50 lb bags of uncrushed grain for 3-6 months without a problem. I use a plastic trash can to keep them dry and keep the bugs and rodents out. Your set up sounds even better.

This BrewStrong podcast from The Brewing Network, if I remember correctly, addresses how long grain can be stored, along with other grain-related topics. It might help to give you a more concrete answer.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong/Brew-Strong-11-24-08-Malt-Analysis

I had a similar question so I went directly to the manufacturer. The general manager for marketing at Muntons had this to say:

"We would simply recommend that unmilled grain malt is stored in its sealed packaging and kept cool and dry. The biggest potential problem would be moisture pickup – hence dry storage and a sealed bag. Moisture will make the malt go “slack” and the yield will drop. There could also be problems with mould.

You should be able to store the malt for a year under these conditions.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Andy Janes
General Manager
MMI Marketing"

Back