First partial mash side by side taste test.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian_g

Reaction score
We brewed a Magic Hat #9 clone. Out first partial mash. Last night my wife and I did our first side by side tasting next to the real thing. It was a match! :rockin: It was so hard to taste the difference, even when comparing side by side. The color was off, but the taste was dead on. Any differences were subtle and you had to hunt for them.

This is all the more exciting, because we botched to mash. The mash temp. was 185F. I didn't realize how important the temp was, until I did some more reading. The attenuation was terrible. It still tasted good.

Oh the joy homebrewing. This post should go into the inside tab of a how-to-brew book. Everything in this post is so true. You can pick one of your favorite beers, find a clone recipe for it, mess up half a dozen parts of the brew process and still end up nailing it in the end. And even if you miss by a little bit you still have beer, probably pretty good beer. I think unless you are fementing in an old trashcan your beer will be bad ass.

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick

Latest posts

Back