Obama is a homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying, "Putting politics aside," first doesn't give you a free poke.
It's like saying, "Of course it would be rude to fart in your face, but...." VRRRPPP!

You know, I have to think that the kitchen crew would have done a little poking around on line as they went about this. Pretty hard not to land at HBT when one does.

Very cool story. I'm thinking the POTUS needs to talk to us about a Custom rig...

all electric with remote monitoring (I suggest BCS). I mean, if you need to fit in a brewday, it would be nice to start the system from AirForceOne...

So, the instructions that came with my kit say to leave it in primary for 5 - 7 days then rack to secondary. Does that sound right to you all?

B.

So, the instructions that came with my kit say to leave it in primary for 5 - 7 days then rack to secondary. Does that sound right to you all?

Barack

well played...

But he's not the one actually doing the brewing, right? It's the kitchen staff members that are making the brew...

I do think that they need to establish a micro brewery on the grounds. Grow hops on site too.

I wasn't being literal. Trust me, I highly doubt the President is doing the brewing. I was serious about designing a brewrig for the White house though. That would be awesome.

Boerderij_Kabouter, A top notch brew rig would be needed, as you pointed out... With how most politicians drink, you'll probably need to fabricate at least a 100 barrel system, with several fermenters to keep them supplied. :D

Of course, since this IS the government footing the bill, you'll need to use those $2000 ball valves, and $5000 (each) welds. :D

Once the rig is done, I suspect you'll be retiring to an island you just purchased. :rockin:

B.

It's an honor, Mr. President.

Yeast performs better at high temperatures, so you should ferment at at least 80 or 90 degrees. Light is healthy for all living things so you should also put the fermenter out in direct sunlight for most of the day. Secondaries are great. They help your beer clear and condition. Therefore, you should rack as many times as you can reasonably stand before bottling. And lastly, before bottling, be sure to shake the fermenter vigorously so that the yeast have plenty of oxygen to convert the priming sugar into CO2.

And for god's sake keep an eye on the bubbles in your airlock! If you don't see any, your beer is almost certainly infected. You will want to use a small amount of bleach to kill the bacteria so it is safe to drink.

It's an honor, Mr. President.

Yeast performs better at high temperatures, so you should ferment at at least 80 or 90 degrees. Light is healthy for all living things so you should also put the fermenter out in direct sunlight for most of the day. Secondaries are great. They help your beer clear and condition. Therefore, you should rack as many times as you can reasonably stand before bottling. And lastly, before bottling, be sure to shake the fermenter vigorously so that the yeast have plenty of oxygen to convert the priming sugar into CO2.

And for god's sake keep an eye on the bubbles in your airlock!

Nicely done...

Not to mention, triple racking is considered the norm... Don't worry about going grain to glass in a under 14 days. You also don't need hops in the beer, so if you forget them, that's ok.

My airlock stopped bubbling yesterday - does that mean the beer's ready? I called Rahm and he said he didn't have "any f*&$ng idea."

B

By the time all the red tape had been cleared that may have been the most expensive beer ever brewed. Like a $100 hammer or a $200 toilet seat. The taxpayers brewed that beer.

So Geithner asked for a sixer and I'm thinking "dammit, you're the Wall Street fatcat, buy your own damn beer"

B

At the Super Bowl party, I offered some homebrew to Hillary and she declined. Said she only drinks Scotch. Suddenly it all makes sense.

B.

The Rose Garden... So THAT'S where all the bodies are buried... Now it all makes sense...

As for Hillary... Well, after Slick Willy and his magic zipper, can you blame her? :drunk:

I just heard on the news (I won't mention which channel because even that ruffles feathers nowadays) that the Obamas' bought the home brew equip with their own money for the Honey Ale. That's pretty sweet.

I just heard on the news (I won't mention which channel because even that ruffles feathers nowadays) that the Obamas' bought the home brew equip with their own money for the Honey Ale. That's pretty sweet.

Yeah, I read that in the attached article. See Link.

SWMBO bought it for me, she's great.

I've got a question. The kit came with this sanitizer and when I use it, it foams up all over the place. Should I be afraid of the foam?

B.

Now I'll be prepared if I roll up to Maryland Homebrew and see a black limo and 6 SUVs parked outside.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned two things in this thread:

- We went from a tea totaling prez who had a DUI, and whose daughter was busted for underaged drinking (if my old brain serves right) to a prez that's promoting homebrewing.

- The bees are on the White House grounds, which means that they probably made rose-garden honey.... Rose-honey beer???

M_C

Kind of doubt that there's enough roses there to sustain an entire hive on just roses... Most likely they would cover a large enough area to gather other flower...

Although it probably had at least a rose tint to it...

Things Are Looking Rosy WH Honey... :p

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...to-serve-more-home-brewed-beer-at-white-house

During this year's Super Bowl, President Obama created a stir by offering guests at the White House beer that he'd brewed himself. And now the president reportedly plans to have another batch of his homebrew on hand March 17 — that's right, for St. Patrick's Day.

According to the Irish Central website, when Obama announced that this March is Irish American Heritage Month, he also pledged to serve his own White House Honey Ale — made with honey from the White House garden beehive — to help celebrate St. Patrick's Day.:mug:

We need to invite him to the forum...

I can see the carboys bubbling away in the Oval Office.:D

"Obama, who said he will pay for the beer-making equipment himself...."

So is he brewing with Blichmann top tier or ghetto-rigged turkey fryers... Extract or AG... Pellets or whole leaf...

There are just too many unanswered, yet pertinent, questions here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back