Japan Hops Trading -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Challenger and Fuggle are easy to buy here! Great find! I have heard a friend of friend have grown sorachi ace on contract for sapporo, somewhere up north. It would be nice to have the one Japanese hop variety in my garden, it has a high yield apparently.

*Edit - friend of friend not growing SA for Sapporo. Its something regular for Kirin and much less interesting.

Japan gets hit with typhoons every summer, what do you do to support a giant plant like hops when it is hit with such strong winds?

I am going to build this pergola soon, I have finished the design in LibreCAD now. Lucky for me, a friend is buddies with a carpenter nearby who is retiring so I should be able to cover more than half the cost with free wood. My design has 2 planter boxes and benches that are not necessary, so if you want to reduce the cost quite a bit you can eliminate those from the build. The benches add stability so if you opt not to use them I would suggest beefing up the braces/brackets. Another suggestion would be to have proper poured concrete footings for the post supports; I am going to be using pre-cast ones since I am renting this house. This will need weather protection, and hardware (carriage bolts, screws) which will probably cost 10000 yen on top of the lumber. My estimated cost was 17000 yen for new wood, but since I used the most common sized lumber you should be able to source some or all of that as recycled/free if you are patient.

If anyone wants the CAD file (dxf format) please PM me with the email address to send it to. I am not promising it is flawless, and the program I made it with is a bit glitchy, but the parts are mostly all separated by layers so you can turn on/off visibility for things like the benches & planters. Units are in cm and I went with the dimensions listed for lumber at my hardware store; 366 cm long 2X6, 2X4, and 200 cm X 9 cm square posts. The file does not account for width of board cuts! Please note that, I have a razor saw which will not really make a big difference, but some of the boards are will require 4 cuts and a regular width saw will start to mess with your measurements. There should still be ample space on every board to account for this if you are careful and the lumber is not full of defects. This is the first time I have drafted with CAD and I liked being able to lay out the board cuts! I rearranged the cuts until I had reduced the lumber cost by two full boards and saved 2000 yen!

This pergola will mostly be used by my wife for bottle gourds, but I will be running ropes from it across the yard for hop bines as well. Should last many years if I keep it weather protected with varnish/lacquer. Best thing about it will be hanging a hammock inside and having a beer/siesta!:D

Hey everyone, I am very happy to announce that the Magnum hops are starting to shoot up now.:D I am still waiting on the centennial but I think it is better to take action sooner than later.

If you want to grow these, Please send me a PM with your shipping address (Japan only), name, and preference of either or both of the hops.

I will try to send cuttings to everyone who contacts me. If I run out of cuttings (I won't cut so much that I risk the health of the crown) before I fulfill all the requests, I may have to send only 1 type to people who request both (in order to send the remainder to someone who has none). It would help in that situation if you please list which of the 2 types you prefer more, so I can still try to make everyone happy. :)

I need to do this in the next couple weeks maximum so please dont delay. Have no fear if you miss out; I can layer and create more cuttings during the growing season but it will be less likely for you to get any cones this year unless you get the roots early.

PHOTOS! :D
You can see the 2 photos of Magnum the shoots are 4-5 cm bigger in 5 days of growth, I am sure they will go nuts when those leaves unfold! There are a few other photos of the pergola construction and first garden lizard of the year.

Morning Brendan,

Thanks for the offer and I'll be sending a PM shortly.

I missed your message earlier about what to do during a typhoon to protect your plants. I've been gardening in Japan for a number of years now and live down near the coast (about 1km from Suruga Bay). Every year we get hit or have near-misses in this area. While there is almost nothing that can be done to fully protect plants in that kind of wind environment it is possible to minimize the damage. While I haven't grown hops specifically I've done other vine-like plants. The best thing I've found is to build a structure that can be taken down during high winds. It's rather labor intensive but it is the only thing that really works. Two years ago I build a very solid structure that withstood two direct typhoons in a row but the plants were stripped completely bare which caused half of them to die. Now I take the plants down, collapse the structure they are growing on, stuff them into a net and secure it to the ground.

Another big problem from typhoons is that they transport salty, ocean water to your plants. You have to spray them with water from the hose before and after the typhoon hits.

Hi everyone, I will start cutting the rhizomes today and will let everyone know soon if I had enough to send to everyone. I may ship tomorrow if I can't fit it in today. This is the last chance to send me an address to ship to, otherwise you will have to wait for another time when the mother plants have recovered.

Brad, thanks for the advice on the wind damage mitigation! I ended up building a sturdy base with cross-braces that sit under ground (With some concrete scrap and packed soil on the cross braces). The upright beam is 2.5 meters tall, and with the removal of 2 (out of 3) large wood screws, the beam can swivel down on the last screw. It looks just like a train crossing gate! I will still grow the bines up on it using ropes so that I have some slack when it needs to rotate down; it would be terrible to swivel that and break the stems!

Last bit of good news! My family heirloom hops has poked a solitary bud above ground, it survived the winter! :rockin: I will be layering this plant and NOT cutting it at all this year, it needs a lot of recovery. Hopefully it flowers and I can get an idea of the type of hops it is. (it could have very little brewing characteristics for all I know).

Photos have been added to the album I previously posted. The "train crossing gate" and the heirloom hop bud are in there now, as well as the progress on the pergola (finished!).

Hey Brendan,
I just got back from a snowboarding trip to find my hops sending up shoots already! Really looking forward to seeing things take off! Thanks again. I'll be sure to include photos when the start filling out a bit.
Cheers,
B

The rhizomes you sent me are doing well. Thanks again for that. I was also recently given some Shinshu Wase rhizomes from one of the dudes at Baird. If all goes according to plan I'll have some rhizomes to share next year.

Awesome! I am pretty happy that within our group there are 2 varieties of Japanese hops being grown! Next year I think is going to be quite interesting with so many more varieties showing up! I will do my best to grow a crown of every type I can get my hands on, so that I can re-distribute.

I talked to the caretakers of the house next to mine yesterday, they confirmed that the owner lives overseas and that the house won't be used for any foreseeable time since the upper floor is deemed unsafe. They are more than happy to let me keep growing hops in that yard as well (I bribed them with beer before I asked)!

We should get a picture discussion open in the Japan group for our gardens!

Cheers,
B

Actually, the shinshu wase found me. I wasn't expecting to get any more rhizomes this year so was very happy to receive an email from my friend. They've only been in the ground for the last 9 days and already all of them have sent up shoots. That means I now have 6 hops plants and three different varieties. Fingers crossed for good growing conditions this year!

Well, here is an update with pictures! I had to pull the cuttings from the yard next door - the owner only wants weeds growing it turns out. Motainai! Centennial is starting to flower finally! everything is quite healthy and I am no longer in fear of losing my homestead hops (for now). That Sterling is doing nicely now as well! The Magnum has a buddy, a pickling cucumber is climbing up with the bines :mug: Maybe I can make a cucumber beer sometime?
Anyone else having flowering yet?

I would upload into an album on HBT but one file at a time is a PITA so here is a link to the Gplus album.

EDIT - first photos in the album are from a few years back, showing the homestead hops in their glory at my great grandfathers homestead. Someday I hope they will become strong like that here in Japan!

https://plus.google.com/photos/112320306391464994253/albums/5799471946573789793?authkey=CP7htP6ZpfqoNw

Hops and -!SPIDER MITE UPDATE!-

Guys a heads up that I found some spider mites on my Magnum here. Please check any plants you have gotten from me to be safe. I took the cuttings long before any sign of mites and they were stored away from the main plant so it should be fine. I am going to spray a mild dish soap solution on the plant and monitor it - now that it has started to flower I don't want to be using the hardcore insecticides on it.

-Centennial is healthy and continues to flower. I had been marking the white rope every day where the growing tips were and it was doing about 8 cm of growth daily (up to the point where I could no longer reach the growing tip to mark it).

-Sterling is now 5 feet tall with one bine only but still has small leaves. It is in a smallish planter, I will give it much more room next season.

-"Homestead" has hit its stride and is running two bines about 6 feet high and a few little side branches off the base of the bines. It seems to be completely free of mites for the last 3 weeks. I am starting to get hope of maybe getting some cones this year! - It seems that the increased vigor started when some tomatoes grew tall enough to shade this plants base - I think all of the healthiest plants I have are growing in partial shade with only the bines reaching into full sun.

The "extras" - mixed cuttings of centennial and magnum - are sitting in ice cream containers behind the house. I have not watered them or done anything to take care of them for a month and they look very healthy. I will plant them around my town sometime, probably up in the hills. Let them go wild in an area that is full of weeds and see if they can compete.

Grow update time!

Magnum took the spider mites like a champ, I didn't use pesticides but they subsided with a couple mistings of water. Hops are mature and ready to pick today.

Centennial - I have selectively picked off a handful of ready cones and will pick more today. After watching some harvest videos I had to sit on my hands and wait for them to be ready... patience.

Sterling - Looks like it wont flower this year, but has gotten comfortable and grown up into the shrub/tree next to it. Probably 8 feet tall now on one bine.

Homestead - I am now sure that the shade did wonders for the plant. It is healthy and even has a handful of cones on it. It is almost under perpetual cover now. The bottle gourds (hyoutan) ran rampant across the ropes and the tomatoes shield 90% of the sun.

All the plants got an application of seaweed collected from the beach nearby (rinsed the salt off and let it soak in fresh water for a day). Some epsom salts for magnesium also got sprayed on the leaves. My "general purpose" fertilizer does not have micro nutrients in it or even any of the secondary macros (calcium magnesium) so that was causing some nutrient imbalances for my whole garden. You might want to check if you are using fertilizers, to see if you have what the plants need.

How are the hops gardens in other parts of the country now? Its rained a lot down south so I am curious how they held up.

How'd everyone fare with this extreme weather? I hope everyone is OK there were like half a million people evacuated for typhoon 18! Hops in my yard are now overgrown with hyoutan, bottle gourd plants are up to 12 meters long. The hops are fine under them, but I am done harvesting anything now.

Great thread.

It seems there is a real community growing hops here in Japan. I would love to join you all. I just finished building my house and I included anchor points on the eaves of my house 5 meters from the ground so I could string up bines to grow hops on.

Now I need some plants. Anyone sending out cuttings next spring? I'd be happy to pay for them, or if you are interested I have stumbled upon a lot of corny kegs (pin and ball lock) and I'd be willing to trade a few.

Also is there anyone in Kyushu growing hops? How do they handle the summer here?

Guzzibrew I may have some rhizomes available and will post around Feb or early March when I check their viability. I cut quite a few this past spring and stunted my plants a bit so this year I will cut a little less. Hopefully other people in here have had success establishing their plants. I haven't accepted payment other than shipping costs, although for a keg trade I could get you Centennial and Magnum no problem! That seems more than a fair trade!

Some people in Kyushu grow, but the typhoons are a real threat. A setup that can be taken down and laid flat on the ground during storms will reduce wind damage, and can be complimented by laying one of those "bird nets" overtop.
The other threat is the heat. Even where I am in Yokosuka the plants do significantly better in a site that has shade during the summer, and will go into heat stress and almost a dormant state if exposed to full sun during July/August.
Cheers!
B

Sorry for the massive delay in posting. I've been uber busy since September with no real end in sight!

I grew three kinds in giant planters this summer. Magnum and centennial from Brendan and Shin Suwase and centennial from another friend. I actually ended up with about 20gs of dried hops when all was said and done. Everything grew up to the second floor balcony of my house.

Luckily, we avoided any serious weather problems. In fact, all of my crops did a lot better than usual. Fingers crossed for more luck next year.

Since I started out with only a few small rhizomes it's probably not possible for me to make any cuttings next year but I'll check it out and report back.

Thanks again Brendan!

American here. I'm wondering just how many Japanese varietels of hops there are, as I've only heard of Sorachi Ace. At any rate, I wish you all good luck in your upcoming growing seasons, as I know how much of a pain plants can be.

OppamaBrendan,

Missed your post, so I'm a bit late getting back to you.

I haven't accepted payment other than shipping costs, although for a keg trade I could get you Centennial and Magnum no problem! That seems more than a fair trade!

Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do!

As far as the sun goes they'll be growing on the west side of the house sheltered from morning sun by a bamboo grove and afternoon sun by the house. They will be open to the south for part of the day but I'm sure I can give them some shade. How do you shade yours?

When I built my house I intentionally installed eyebolts under my eaves so I can raise and lower bines for plants to climb on. It's 3 floors from the eaves to the ground so they'll have some room to grow.

GB

Guzzibrew, I am good for kegs now, I lucked out as Baird Brewing unloaded 50+ cornies onto the HB community mostly near Tokyo. I don't have gas or regulator yet or freezer/kegerator yet so gathering more kegs would probably be just greedy on my part. I will still get the assessment on the rhizomes in the spring and see what I can send.
For southern climates, a member on HBT got rhizomes from me last year for a friend, maybe she can speak up and let us know how they did. They went to Okinawa if I recall.

I shaded my hops by accident. My wife makes bottle gourd lamps and the gourds (hyoutan) we planted went insane and covered everything. In the fall I stretched out one plant and measured the main stem to be 18 meters long. Probably 50 meters total counting all the side stems on that single plant. Suffice it to say they shaded my hops, and tomatoes, and ume tree, and shed, and if I stood in one place too long....:eek:

Man I really want to get in on this, but Tokyo apartments are none too conducive to hop growing. SWMBO is down with it, though, so let's give it a try and hop for the best! :D

I'm thinking of trying to order some varieties from overseas, as the varieties here seem limited. Does anyone want to go in with me for a batch order?

OppamaBrendan

Thanks for considering me as a potential adhoptive parent :)

I'm going to check with an acquaintance who is a professional gardener to see what varieties are available.

Fencdar
I may well be up for splitting an order- depending on what I can buy/ scrounge up here.

Apparently SWMBO's grandparents might be down with me turning their backyard into a hop garden! Their neighbors apparently have had a 2m-tall plant for years. No idea what variety though. Gotta follow up on both points.

Hello all and Happy New Years!

I am wanting to grow some hops for the first time. I plan on growing them in containers, in home-made earth-boxes. I was wondering if anyone would know where I could get some Japanese type hop rhizomes. I live in Iwakuni (less than an hour away from Hiroshima). I just think it would be cool to grow and experiment with something from Japan while I am here.

I'd like to know that too. I imagine the Japanese cultivars are all licensed to heck though, and impossible to get as a result.

So are we going to batch-order some rhizomes this year? I see that MoreBeer and Adventures in Homebrewing have their preorder pages set up. I'm thinking Citra or Willamette personally.

Edit: some links, I'll edit these to keep them updated with the latest info I have.
AIH (certificates for certain types only)
Farmhouse Supply
MoreBeer (No shipping to FPO)
Northern Brewer (No intl shipping)
Freshops (not active yet, certificate $30, order via email to [email protected])

Arrowhead Hops
Willingham Nurseries (UK)
Crosby Farms (not active yet)
Nortwest Hops
Eickelmann (Germany)
Essentially Hops (UK)
Aplus Hops (UK)
Great Lakes Hops

I've just had a look through the Japanese import regulations, and it doesn't appear that we will need special measures to import rhizomes from overseas, but I'd try to find places that provide the "Phytosanitary Certificate" just in case.

Thanks for the links. Some really good sites on that list. I think I might order from Farmhouse. Thanks again for the links

I think with any plant material if you have the option of getting a phytosanitary certificate that is the way to go. Its not the plant itself they are worried about, more as the potential for carrying a disease that wipes out local economies. If the rhizomes are bare-rooted (without soil) they stand a much greater chance of getting through customs.

I am sharing some files I have collected here that may be usefull: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3Dulupgz-_vMEN2NkRDZFZ0WWs&usp=sharing
I am still trying to find my spreadsheet that had a bunch of hops listed with disease/pest resistance/susceptibility and heat stress tolerance.

Bonus! I found that file that lists the Japanese varieties! (IGHC document) It even lists the breweries associated with them! I will post those varieties in the thread for ease of viewing.

Sorry I have no idea how to insert cells and format this nicely. If anyone can do that please repost. I added AA% and Flavor Profile to the characteristics although nothing was listed in the file we can hopefully fill out some of that over time ourselves :)

VARIETY NAME -- OWNER -- B (Bittering) A (Aroma) -- ORIGIN (Japan, China) AA % Flavor Profile
Eastern Gold -- Kirin -- B -- J -- --
Eastern Green -- Kirin -- B -- J -- --
Fukuyutaka -- Kirin -- -- J -- --
Furano 18 -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano 6 -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano Ace -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano Beta -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano Laura -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano Special -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Golden Star -- Sapporo -- B -- J -- --
Kaikogane -- Kirin -- -- J -- --
Kitamidori -- Kirin -- B -- J -- --
Little Star -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Nanbuwase -- Asahi -- -- J -- --
SA-1 -- Sapporo -- A -- China -- --
Shinsyu Wase -- Sapporo -- B -- J -- --
Sinsyu Wase -- Suntory -- B -- J -- --
Sorachi Ace -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Toyomidori -- Kirin -- B -- J -- --

I think with any plant material if you have the option of getting a phytosanitary certificate that is the way to go. Its not the plant itself they are worried about, more as the potential for carrying a disease that wipes out local economies. If the rhizomes are bare-rooted (without soil) they stand a much greater chance of getting through customs.

I am sharing some files I have collected here that may be usefull: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3Dulupgz-_vMEN2NkRDZFZ0WWs&usp=sharing
I am still trying to find my spreadsheet that had a bunch of hops listed with disease/pest resistance/susceptibility and heat stress tolerance.

Bonus! I found that file that lists the Japanese varieties! (IGHC document) It even lists the breweries associated with them! I will post those varieties in the thread for ease of viewing.

Yoink!

Thanks for the links. Some really good sites on that list. I think I might order from Farmhouse. Thanks again for the links

If you're going to order to Japan, lets do a bulk order together to save on shipping. Also note that I haven't confirmed that all of them offer certificates and/or ship abroad.
EDIT: I emailed Farmhouse 3 days ago about both points, and they have yet to respond. It's still Sunday in the US, and Monday is MLK day, so I'll give them a few more days until I write them off.

Definitely copying all these files. :rockin:

Brendan, I'm very much a noob at growing hops (haven't even ordered a rhizome yet!), but what would you say are the biggest problem diseases/pests in Japan?

Brendan,

Is this a complete list? I really can't believe that Suntory is using only one variety of hops =8-0

Suntory Premium Malt tastes like more than that- but maybe it's just the difference between dry hopping and no dry hopping.

I love the hop nose of Premium when it's fresh.

VARIETY NAME -- OWNER -- B (Bittering) A (Aroma) -- ORIGIN (Japan, China) AA % Flavor Profile
Eastern Gold -- Kirin -- B -- J -- --
Eastern Green -- Kirin -- B -- J -- --
Fukuyutaka -- Kirin -- -- J -- --
Furano 18 -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano 6 -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano Ace -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano Beta -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano Laura -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Furano Special -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Golden Star -- Sapporo -- B -- J -- --
Kaikogane -- Kirin -- -- J -- --
Kitamidori -- Kirin -- B -- J -- --
Little Star -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Nanbuwase -- Asahi -- -- J -- --
SA-1 -- Sapporo -- A -- China -- --
Shinsyu Wase -- Sapporo -- B -- J -- --
Sinsyu Wase -- Suntory -- B -- J -- --
Sorachi Ace -- Sapporo -- A -- J -- --
Toyomidori -- Kirin -- B -- J -- --[/QUOTE]

Fencdar,

I'm up for throwing in on a group buy. If we buy different varieties in a year or two we may be able to share:ban:. However as I'm in Kyushu I'll need the most heat hardy varieties to ensure they survive the warm summers. Centennial and Cascade spring to mind...

GB

Cool. Tell ya what. I'll make the order on say 1/31, so everyone that wants rhizomes pm me your wishes and address before then. As soon as I get the rhizomes and payment (I'll set up paypal or bank furikomi), I'll ship them out to everybody. Sound good?

Guzzi, I am not sure if that is a complete list or not but I doubt it, the big guys probably do stick to a handful of varieties only though for economic reasons. I just pulled it out of one of the files that I shared, someone else had passed that file on to me a while back.

Fendcar I think Japan has several climate/growing zones although they only really identify 3 of these on the back of seed packets. If you grab a pack of tomato seeds for example they have a 3 color map on the back that lists the miura peninsula in the same region as okinawa? Thats got to be BS.

I personally think that heat stress is the biggest danger, followed by humidity related disease, then pests.
If you are not sure about the heat stress around your place, planting in a large container is useful. If one location is too hot you can move the container to a shadier spot. My planters are black so they stay in the shade all the time, and have not had much problems. I started to move my Magnum this fall and found a taproot as thick as my thumb had gone down through the base into the soil, so careful if you need to move - it might mean breaking roots and shocking the plant in another way :(

I got signs of powdery mildew, which was running rampant through my bottle gourds this past summer. I learned about spraying a dilute milk solution on to control it at that time. A bad smelling but effective treatment! The PM had very little effect on the plants, as I was already spraying the other crops and watching for it. PM is not fatal so I wouldn't spray bines that are full of cones, I wouldn't want milk residue on my hops!

Lastly, I got spider mites on 2 plants. Both suffered several dry leaves and dropped them, and I used pesticide on them. I would have used a more natural remedy but couldn't afford the time and risk of spreading out of control to all my other plants. Mites can be tolerated in low levels but you want to control their numbers to avoid decreased yield. Soapy water, or garlic water is useful. The spray I got was very effective, you can go to a garden center and they have a pest-guide beside the control methods, so even without good Japanese you can find a picture of the mushi/disease and the corresponding product sold for it.

A word of personal opinion though not only relevant to hops - Japan is one of (last time I looked, #1) the highest pesticide using countries on earth and it isn't good to keep that going. A lot of the most popular products are the systemic variety that are sprinkled around the roots in pellet form - spreading throughout the whole plant to kill anything that feeds on them. These are neoniconide chemicals and very very bad for pollinators as well as pests. Use them only if it is before the plant flowers, after that you are likely killing off the good-guys too.

Cool. Tell ya what. I'll make the order on say 1/31, so everyone that wants rhizomes pm me your wishes and address before then. As soon as I get the rhizomes and payment (I'll set up paypal or bank furikomi), I'll ship them out to everybody. Sound good?

Are you going to be able to ship to an FPO address?

I got a heads up from a friend that tried to order last year from homebrewstuff.com. They told him they couldn't ship here so I guess that's one less option.

Fendcar, any positive news from Farmhouse or one of the other suppliers you listed?

Im getting declined from my tomato seed suppliers :-(

I got a heads up from a friend that tried to order last year from homebrewstuff.com. They told him they couldn't ship here so I guess that's one less option.

Fendcar, any positive news from Farmhouse or one of the other suppliers you listed?

Im getting declined from my tomato seed suppliers :-(

I guess international markets just aren't worth the headache to some people. :(

Farmhouse hasn't gotten back to me, but AIH says they can supply certificates for some varieties. Once I have a list of what all everybody wants, I'll email them and check.
EDIT: Northern Brewer got back to me- they do not ship rhizomes internationally.

So for now, let's plan on ordering through Adventures in Homebrewing. Please PM me your order and address ASAP to get in on our bulk purchase. FastForward has graciously agreed to help us out, meaning our shipping charges will be much cheaper.

AIH will have the following varieties:
Brewer's Gold
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Columbus
Crystal
Fuggle
Galena
Glacier
Horizon
Magnum
Mt. Hood
Newport
Northern Brewer
Nugget
Perle
Santiam
Sterling
Sunbeam
Tettnanger
US Golding
Willamette
Zeus

After I get all the orders in, I will email everyone with their total price. I promise I'm not adding any profit on this, rhizomes and shipping only! After I get each payment (via Amazon Payments), I will ship the rhizomes out via Yamato Takkyubin (KuroNeko).

Latest posts

Back