Great beers you DON'T like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited Magic Hat earlier this year. Most of what they brew sucks, even if you drink it at the brewery, but I actually like #9 when it's fresh. It's popular around here, so at most bars it has a good turnover rate. The apricots are worse than hops: drink one old and they completely ruin the beer. The only other beer of theirs I've ever really enjoyed was a black ipa they had on tap at the brewery.

tally350z said:
I've never really liked drinking Heineken. There is just something about it that puts me off..

I don't like skunks either, but this is hardly considered a good beer by craft standards

I have to so say that before I got into the world of craft beer that I greatly enjoyed Heine. It was such a huge step up from BMC beer. So I would place in between.

I have to so say that before I got into the world of craft beer that I greatly enjoyed Heine. It was such a huge step up from BMC beer. So I would place in between.

I would actually say that Budweiser is way better than Heineken. Honestly, Bud is not far off from some micro and homebrew cream ales. Plus I've never had a Heineken that wasn't skunked - or maybe that's just how it tastes.

AdamWiz said:
I would actually say that Budweiser is way better than Heineken. Honestly, Bud is not far off from some micro and homebrew cream ales. Plus I've never had a Heineken that wasn't skunked - or maybe that's just how it tastes.

Like every single import beer it tastes better in the country its from. I've been in Holland and had some and it was better.

I would say that its supposed to taste that way though for the most part. One thing to keep in mind that most old European beers don't use aroma hops but only bittering hops and then not that much. It's bitter and not sweet.

Another one for Anchor Steam here, I have yet to have one of their beers I like, especially their Porter. Must be what chewing on charcoal is like.

Grolsch and DFH120, for entirely different reasons. I also think Pliney the Elder is unbalanced and extremely overrated.

Drake's IPA - is this considered a "great" beer, or known outside the SF Bay Area? I don't know. All I know is, it tasted like concentrated wet dog to me, and actually made me gag. I had two sips and gave up. I'll usually drink anything. A-ny-thing. Must have been a specialized reaction to some kind of hop I've never had or something (like how some people perceive cilantro as soap).

Lazy Magnolia Reb Ale is about the only beer I just cannot drink. I haven't had it in a long time, but last I checked...no thanks!

Its whole styles I dont like particularly. Almost anything Belgian except for Bier de Garde. Not a fan. Also anything wheat. Tastes dishwaterish to me.

This Is a great thread and really just highlights how different each individual's tastes are. I love some of the beers mentioned.

Big Sky's:Moose Drool
New Belgium's: Fat Tire
Three Floyds: Pride and Joy
Cigar City: Jai Alai
All of Shiner Texas Beers?!?!

Delerium Tremens. Actually, most Belgiums. My brew buddies were horrified when I told them. I just dont like that sour flavour so typical of belgiums.

just had my first Flat Tire on vacation this week, very good my new 1st

Shiner Bock: never really liked it, although I spent many years in Austin where it was a staple, so you'd think it would at least appeal to some kind of past-era-local-pride. It was always just kinda "meh" to me.

Proboscidea said:
Shiner Bock: never really liked it, although I spent many years in Austin where it was a staple, so you'd think it would at least appeal to some kind of past-era-local-pride. It was always just kinda "meh" to me.

Smh, I know its not the best beer out there, but if I go to a party and there is Shiner Bock instead of BMC then I'll be a very happy camper. I like it because it has "drinkablility", its a beer you can easily drink a 12 pack with buds, and it has a great taste (sorry to make it sound like BMC commercial.)

But don't worry I do follow, to each their own.

Yeah, this thread is, among other things, a great list of beers to try.

Another +1
I don't know half of these half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of them half as well as they deserve.

Smh, I know its not the best beer out there, but if I go to a party and there is Shiner Bock instead of BMC then I'll be a very happy camper. I like it because it has "drinkablility", its a beer you can easily drink a 12 pack with buds, and it has a great taste (sorry to make it sound like BMC commercial.)

If I am going to a party and am going to bring a 12 pack anymore, Shiner is my go to. Unless I can find Boulevard for about the same price, but typically not. I think shiner is very drinkable.

Bud should go ahead and change their adds to "BeerBong-ability" or "Shotgun-ability"

There have only really been 2 beers I haven't been able finish.

One was so long ago I don't remember the beer itself but the brand was Leinenkugel.

The other, I had last weekend: Sam Adams White Water IPA.
The pine taste was so strong, it was like drinking a Christmas Tree.

Also: I finished it, but I wasn't a fan of Guinness. Got it on tap. It was way to dry for me.

For an easy drinking Shiner beer, I honestly like the Blonde and Light Blonde.

Other than the obvious Samuel Adams and Dogfish Head selections, I would say IPAs are most often crappier than the other styles...

Victory HopDevil & HopWallop
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Southern Tier 2XIPA
Smuttynose Big A
Clipper City Loose Cannon
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger

I don't consider any of these to be worthy of an A rating, but that's just my opinion. It may sounds like blasphemy, but there are a lot of beers which fall under the radar that are wayyyy better than these choices.

I also can't stand when an IPA is sweet, malty, thick, or high in alcohol for the sake of being high in alcohol - Defeats the purpose and the beauty of the style. That's why I prefer my homebrews more than anything because I've learned to tailor them to suit my own tastes.

+1 to Magic Hat. I've tried probably 8 different brews from them and have diliked every one. I wasn't indifferent to them - I actually disliked every one of them. Especially the green colored green apple brew.

I'll pile on Magic Hat. I've yet to have one of their beers that I didn't have to choke down.

Latest posts

Back