FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fair78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have brewed two AG batches. One in each of the last two weeks. The first is an IPA. Its been fermenting for the last two weeks. Tonight I wanted to check its progress and wound up with an. 004! My recipe didn't call for a FG, so I wasnt sure what im aiming for. Having only done extract I'm not used to such low gravity. So, after all this Chimay induced rambling, my question is: with all-grain are final gravitates generally close to 1.000?

There are a lot of variables that determine your FG, but generally speaking AG finishes lower than extract unless you are mashing hot, like 160F which would produce more unfermentable sugars than mashing low, like 149F.

I know that extract generally has a higher FG, I was just surprised to see it that low in that short of a time. The best part is that the sample tasted Amazing! I think I could get used to AG!

The best part is that the sample tasted Amazing! I think I could get used to AG!

I'd have to agree with you on that! I have only brewed 2-batches of beer, with the first batch being an extract/steeping grain IPA, and the second batch being an all-grain BIAB Kolsch, based off BierMuncher's Orange Kolsch. I just tasted my first hydro sample of the AG Kolsch this morning, and it was like night and day compared to the extract samples I tasted about six weeks ago. Different beers, for sure, but the AG sample has so much more depth of flavor and "grain" taste to it, compared to the extract IPA. I tried to add as much character in as I could with the recipe, without going overboard. At this point in time, I'm quite happy with it. It's currently sitting at 1.018, so it's getting there. I can't wait to taste this in another 6-8-weeks! So far, I'm very impressed with BIAB!

i think there's some mismeasurement. a 1.004 for an apa is extremely low. considering the bjcp guidelines for an apa are 1.010 to 1.015, i would never expect that low. mine usually end up around 1.011

I have brewed two AG batches. One in each of the last two weeks. The first is an IPA. Its been fermenting for the last two weeks. Tonight I wanted to check its progress and wound up with an. 004! My recipe didn't call for a FG, so I wasnt sure what im aiming for. Having only done extract I'm not used to such low gravity. So, after all this Chimay induced rambling, my question is: with all-grain are final gravitates generally close to 1.000?

That really depends on 3 main things, recipe, yeast strain and mash temps. If you used a very high attenuating yeast strain, with a good percentage of simple sugars and lower mash temps, you could very well end up with 1.004 FG. I enjoy a "dryer" IPA, I feel it lets all those hops really shine through. Remember Corn Sugar and Honey ferment out almost completely so adding those to your recipe will dry the beer out a tad.

The FG generally is determined by the mashing regime - what brewers refer to as the LE or Limit extract (sometimes called LA - limit attenuation) a long mash at 150 and 160 will lower LE. Attenuation is guaged by the PE (present extract)-LE difference, PE-LE. Commercially LE is measured in the lab by forcing yearmentation under "perfect" conditions

i think there's some mismeasurement. a 1.004 for an apa is extremely low. considering the bjcp guidelines for an apa are 1.010 to 1.015, i would never expect that low. mine usually end up around 1.011

I took another reading today while dry hopping. Still sitting at 1.004. I'm starting to think I made a mistake somewhere along the way, but I am very pleased with the way its progressing. Guess I'll shrug my shoulders and enjoy em' here in a month or so.

I took another reading today while dry hopping. Still sitting at 1.004. I'm starting to think I made a mistake somewhere along the way, but I am very pleased with the way its progressing. Guess I'll shrug my shoulders and enjoy em' here in a month or so.

It's probably due to a lower mash temperature than I tend to use for APAs. I mash mine at 152-153, and they generally finish at 1.010-1.012.

Make sure your thermometer is accurate, and keep track during the mash of the temperature so that you can more easily predict the probable FG.

Back