Skipping secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey971

Reaction score
My first batch has been in primary for around 5 days, and the airlock isn't showing a whole lot of action anymore.

Money is tight right now, and I don't know if I can justify dropping another $40 on a carboy.

I know that you can leave your brew in the Primary until bottling, but how much cloudier will that leave my beer?
I used Irish moss at the end of the boil to hopefully cut down on sediment.

What do you guys think?

I left mine in primary for 3 weeks and it turned out very clear.

Other people have success with clear beer in primary only.

Many people skip secondary totally unless using fruit, dryhopping, etc.
Also - use a hydrometer to check your gravity. Just because it isn't
bubbling doesn't mean it's done fermenting.

I have been leaving mine in primary for 3 weeks in hopes that the yeast will clean up. No luck for me, 3 batches now and all very cloudy. Even after days in the fridge.

I have been leaving mine in primary for 3 weeks in hopes that the yeast will clean up. No luck for me, 3 batches now and all very cloudy. Even after days in the fridge.

What types of yeast are you using?

I know how it is. These hobbies tend to grow and cost money.

There are a lot of seasoned homebrewers on this site that go straight from primary to bottle so I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure a few of them will chime in and give you great advice on what to do.

My only thoughts are to suggest a couple of things. One is to place your primary fermenter in the spot where you will do your bottling several hours in advance so the trub has time to settle again. Then keep the racking cane out of the trub as you siphon into the priming bucket even if that means leaving a small amount of beer behind. If you have a racking cane clip, that will help by letting you position the cane above the trub.

Dennis

Have you tried using Gelatin? How cold does the fridge get the beer?

Eastside

Back