American Pale Ale Summer Citra Cerveza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original recipe used flaked barley for head retention. Later I couldn't find flaked barley and used carapils instead. The flaked barley added a fresh graininess. The carapils is more delicate and allowed the hops to share shine brighter. I have used Nottingham, Coopers and US-05. All worked well. The Coopers enhanced the fruitiness. The US-05 was the cleanest. I would use US-05 as the Coopers added a little too much apple last time I used it. Let me know about the Amarillo. Good brewing!

Thanks for the response and BTW last years brew was a huge hit especially with SWMBO! The added hops sound great for next weeks try but I still can't decide if I'll use citra or Amarillo. I'll let you know either way and I'm using notty as its my go to yeast. Cheers!

Nice biscuit!! Mosaic sounds good. I'm drinking a mosaic pale ale that's pretty good, it has a slight berry hoppy taste if that makes sense. My swmbo though I used blueberries!! I brewed this up yesterday using the op grain bill but with your most recent hop schedule. Although I replaced the citra with Amarillo, let you know the results in a couple weeks!! Cheers. :mug:

That sounds awesome, keep us posted! I ended up splitting this batch between 3 two-gallon fermentors. I am leaving one alone, dry hopping one with .25 Oz. Centennial and the third I am adding raisins (soaked in vodka, but will strain the vodka).

Raisins seem like an odd choice for this, have you added them before to a batch? I'm just curious because when I think of raisin flavor in a beer I'm usually thinking stout but now I'm intrigued. Keeps us updated!!

Raisins seem like an odd choice for this, have you added them before to a batch? I'm just curious because when I think of raisin flavor in a beer I'm usually thinking stout but now I'm intrigued. Keeps us updated!!

No, I have never done it before. There was really no rhyme or reason for me adding the raisins. I just figured since I had split the batch anyway I might as well do something funky....I looked across the kitchen and saw raisins sitting on the counter, a decision was made.

Going to give this a shot, but looking to see what the conscious was in comparing the original recipe (.5 oz hop additions at 60 & 20 min) and the newer updated version (1 oz hop addition at 60 & 20)?
I am looking to brew an easy to drink lawnmower ale that will appeal to the BMC drinker, but will not be too bland for the craft beer drinker.

I was thinking of following the original recipe but subbing in 2 oz citra at the whirlpool, or maybe .5 oz dry hop ( no need to have left over hops)

The newer version is actually 1 oz Cascade at 25 min and 1 oz Centennial 5 min and 1 oz Citra whirlpool.

The newer version is actually 1 oz Cascade at 25 min and 1 oz Centennial 5 min and 2 oz Citra whirlpool.

So the newer version is basically a cream ale with late hop additions?

In terms of drinkability does the newer version still lend itself to both BMW drinkers & craft drinkers?

And which version do you prefer?

Both versions are Cream ales with hop flavor and aroma. The key to drinkability for BMC drinkers is the low IBU of 24. People who don't like hops usually mean they don't like bitterness. Being a light colored session strength beer doesn't hurt. I prefer version 2.0 with carapils instead of flaked barley but every version of the beer is an easy drinking summer beer.

I have updated the recipe to reflect changes in my brewing technique...

Summer Citra Cerveza Version 3.0
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham, US-05 or any clean neutral yeast that tolerates a cool fermentation.
Coopers is my favorite if you have to ferment at a warmer temp (>68F).
Yeast Starter: None, I even dry pitch (I know rehydrate yada yada.)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.008
Brew House Efficiency: 70%
IBU: 24
Color: 3 SRM
Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 62f, then 7 days at 68f, then Cold crash 2 days at 40f.
Tasting Notes: Refreshing lawnmower beer with a citrus hoppy nose.

Ingredients:
5 lbs 2 Row (56%)
3 lbs Flaked Corn (33%)
1 lbs Carapils (11%)

Mash at 148f for 60 minutes

60 minute Boil
1oz Cascade pellets (5.5% alpha) 25 min of boil
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 min of boil
1oz Centennial pellets (10% alpha) 5 min of boil
1oz of Citra pellets (12% alpha), chill wort to 170f then steep for 30 minutes

Carbonate to 2.5 volumes using your favorite calculator.

Well I tried my first couple a week and a half after bottling and while the Amarillo version is good the citra was better. Grant it it wasn't quite fully carbed up and was young but the Amarillo gave it a fruity dankness that was good but a hoppy citrus is what I prefer. I'll probably make another batch in a month or two using just cascade and citra and see how that is since I just used up my cenntenial on a ne IPA with Amarillo and cenntenial hops. Its still a great outside beer as I was drinking them while doing yard work on Sunday and now that I'm kegging I should have more time to brew. And pyg I didn't think it was too hoppy and my swmbo agreed. Thanks again for the recipe! :mug:

2 weeks in primary.
Checked Fg-1.012
Don't have time to bottle until next week.
Had tons of aroma.
Had a touch of late-quick hoppiness
And very smooth mouth feel.

Since I have a week until I bottle I am fighting off the urge to dry hop with 1 oz of citra.
But I think that would turn most BMC drinkers off.

Flaked corn is hard to come by here, and I don't want to pay shipping from an online order.

Is there something I could use as a substitute for flaked corn? Could I just use dextrose?

Flaked corn is hard to come by here, and I don't want to pay shipping from an online order.

Is there something I could use as a substitute for flaked corn? Could I just use dextrose?

Organic corn flakes. Make sure they have no added sugar or salt.
Might end up as expensive as ordering them online though.
Corn meal/polenta would be the most inexpensive option. Just make sure there are no additives. Do a search for brewing with cornmeal.

I have never done a cereal mash, but could I do it with grits or corn meal?.

How would I input that into beersmith?

You have to cook the grits before mashing them with malted barley to get the starches converted to sugar.

Yeah that would work.
I don't have much experience with it as I only brewed once with polenta (same thing) and just threw 1.25 lbs in with about 10 pounds of pilsner malt, oats, corn flakes and wheat malt without doing a cereal mash. Mashed at 152 for 60 mins and passed the iodine test. Turned out to be a very tasty and crushable Samba Pale Ale. With the amount of corn required for this recipe though I guess you would need to be a more careful.
There are for sure users on here who have brewed cream ales with grits so maybe they can share their experiences.

Flaked corn cereal or coarse ground corn meal should work. I've read about non oil popcorn or even plain unsalted corn chips. All this stuff I'd buy from a health food store and all organic. That way you avoid any of the crap they put in food these days. I'd just mainly want 1 ingredient on the label. Corn.

Flaked corn cereal or coarse ground corn meal should work. I've read about non oil popcorn or even plain unsalted corn chips. All this stuff I'd buy from a health food store and all organic. That way you avoid any of the crap they put in food these days. I'd just mainly want 1 ingredient on the label. Corn.

Yeah, that sounds like a good option.

I hate the online way, I either spend the eight bucks for shipping, or buy $53 of more stuff to get free shipping.:confused:

Also, adding more time on my brew day with a cereal mash probably wouldn't fly with my wife and 18 mo.

@bigdaddybrew Ok, so 3 days in the fermenter and I've almost hit my FG. Only 4 points to go. Should I bump the temp up prior to the first 7 days or just let it go and bump the temp up after day 7?

Plan on brewing this next month sometime.
I have a garden party in July but have a few holidays planned in between so I need plan it properly.

How long does it normally take to get this from grain to glass?
I'll need it to be ready in 4 weeks.
I'll be bottling it but I guess with Notti and no dry hopping this would be done fermenting within a week. Been a while since I used this yeast but if I recall correctly it is OK but not really fast at conditioning in the bottle but 3 weeks should be long enough?
Or should I let it ferment for 2 weeks and condition for two weeks?

Thanks! :)

Second taste tonight. Very good. My best comparison would be to Corona. This is gonna be good on a hot summer day with a wedge of lime.

How long does it normally take to get this from grain to glass?
I'll need it to be ready in 4 weeks.

For me, 6 days from fermenter to cold crash. In the keg now (4 days) and quite good. If you are bottling, you should be good to go with the time frame you have of 4 weeks. :mug:

I am thinking I should have moved the whirlpool to flame out.
Maybe that would have added more flavor & aroma

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers about the fermentation schedule.

I brewed this and 3 others beers on the weekend and only realized a mistake now when checking the notes for the beers I have to dry hop.

I read the OG wrong from my Beersmith print out and thought it was 1.040 and not 1.049. So when I was a few points over what I thought I should be at pre-boil I added a few quarts of water and ended up with exactly 1.040 after boiling. :smack:

Anyway I'll ended up with about a 4.2% beer which should still be OK.
Makes it even more sessionable and refreshing for the Summer :D

I'll report back in a month with the results. :mug:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers about the fermentation schedule.

I brewed this and 3 others beers on the weekend and only realized a mistake now when checking the notes for the beers I have to dry hop.

I read the OG wrong from my Beersmith print out and thought it was 1.040 and not 1.049. So when I was a few points over what I thought I should be at pre-boil I added a few quarts of water and ended up with exactly 1.040 after boiling. :smack:

Anyway I'll ended up with about a 4.2% beer which should still be OK.
Makes it even more sessionable and refreshing for the Summer :D

I'll report back in a month with the results. :mug:

well the beer ended at 1.007 is 9 days in the bottle now.
Tastes good so far but still doesn't have a thick foamy head.
Hopefully another 10 days in the bottle will fix that.
I was also expecting more hop aroma from the Citra whirlpool but again that might develop when it carbs up a bit more.
I have 11 days until my party so it should be hitting its stride by then. :)

I also have to say its the clearest beer I have ever brewed.
Straight from the fermenter you could read a newspaper through it.
Probably because it had finished fermenting within a few days but I didn't bottle it until after two weeks.
Notti is fast and drops like a stone :D

Latest posts

Back