Cost of Energy Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP delivers! What efficiency did you assume for electric?

I used 100% efficiency. I know that is not reality as you will lose some heat to the kettle, etc. Also, hard to know exactly the amount of time to heat water and the cycle rate for maintaining a boil. It is realtively easy to calculate what energy is used to take it from one point to another. Had to make a few assumptions here and there. In the end...for me, there would be no comparision with NG...but a NG set up is not nearly as cool as your set up!

I did not intend for someone to use that exact one, I quickly googled it to find an example to post.

If you look you can find one suited to your setup, of course it is still un-certified Chinese crap, so you have to be willing to accept that.

EDIT: Just re-read your last line. 10(50A) does not mean it has a 10A limit. This is how power meters are rated Basic Current (Max Current). It has to do with different regulations/standards and how the performance/accuracy of the meter is rated.

So by your numbers, even if you assumed only 50% efficiency on electric, which I think is way low, you'd work out to $1.60 per batch in power cost, which is still less than half of Propane. That's good to know, I suppose, not that I was considering going back to propane!

I get weekly reports with a graph from the electric company (smart meter) Brew days are about $1.50 more in the summer and about a dollar in the few weeks we call winter.

Kitchen brewing on a stove top.

The reality is we are talking about a few bucks difference at most for the power. In the end NG is going to be cheapest. Let's face it, all-electric is way cooler and propane is just not that good of a deal unless you buying in bulk. However, don't be naive to think the upfront cost for all-electric is going to pay for itself anytime soon. Again...who cares, it is about simplicity and repeatability...right?!!

We all would brew beer at home no matter what the cost. My wife is happy that I have this "inexpensive hobby" now. The last one I had was vintage aircraft. Brewing is much less costly than flying. Safer too.:mug:

What does BMC heat with? We should find out because it will undeniably be the cheapest way.

If I recall correctly, they brew with high temperature steam and jacketed kettles. Great for a large scale brewery, not so great for a small home setup.

While my Kw is only .06 per. My elements do not draw the full term of the boil. The total use on my dual element 220/5500watt is only 1hr and 46 mins total. so the math is: 5500 x2=11,000 x 1.75hrs=19,250 divided by 1000=19.25Kw @.06 cents per = $1.16 per 5gallon batch. :ban:

I'm lucky enough to have 400 AMP service & natural gas. Went electric because I brew in a confined space. I may add a NG instant water heater however.

Just wishing I had 3 phase now! :)

Back