Wooden mash paddles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ylpaul2000

Reaction score
So I haven't ever had any luck posting so far and I usually only get an answer or two, but here we go again maybe this time ill get a better response. I've been making a lot of mash paddles lately and I never use them (I teach wood working classes). I was thinking of asking my LHBS if they would consider selling them for me in return for store credit (they take a portion of course).

image-4139702479.jpg

My only concern is that they are of high enough quality to be considered. Now I know that it is hard to tell from just a picture, however here are some of the collection I have. PLEASE let me know what you think!

Those LOOK great! What kind of woods? I would think naked wood (no sealer or stain or anything) would be the only way to go.

Shoot me a price / pic on a naked maple or oak one!

I have oak, cherry, poplar, willow, and maple in that bunch. I will get back back to you on price shortly.

The bottom two are sweet! I cant imagine I could afford one of these.

You could make a whole line of sword shaped ones. Excalibur, roman sword, scottish claymore...

I'd like one in either cherry, oak or maple, as long as the wood has some really nice character to it (grain structure still visible)... PM me if you're open to the idea so we can design it up and get this to happen... I'll want it long enough to mash in my keg mash tun (1/2 bbl) and possibly something a bit larger (thinking ahead)... :D

I think the designs with holes in them will be more useful. They're all nice, but you also need to have them long enough to work in deeper mash tuns. So the third from the bottom would have more limited use than the top one.

Ok so some explanation is in order. First, I bought my stainless steel paddle for around $40 and I've gathered that most people wouldn't pay twice that for a custom. I was thinking around $65ish at my LHBS. Shipping is something different, and unfortunately the longer it is the more it costs. Second the shorter of the paddles was designed for a buddy of mine who brews 5 gallon extract batches, anything longer is unusable on a stove top. Third I would always recommend some sort of food safe finish. I've used butcher block oil, orange oil, and walnut oil with great results. Without oil the life of the paddle is greatly reduced. That being said I would finish to the preference of the customer. Any other questions please ask!

I really like them but I'm not sure I'm ready to replace my ugly paddle, it works as well as the pretty ones one the pictures but costed me 5$ and 30 min of work, I guess I'm cheap :)

i would guess that any type of finish oil could have some effect on the beer.

The one I made is Cherry that I cut out of a log with no finish. It has lasted quite a few batches with no sign of cracking or staining. I just hose if down after I'm done brewing and hang it up to dry.

Those look great by the way and that is a good idea to try and sell them at the local HBS.

Here's a good question the second from the bottom can I have for free??? I want to use it on SWMBO.

I make and sell mash paddles also. Yours look a lot nicer than mine though. I also sell mine at a LHBS. He puts a price of about $45 and moves them pretty steadily. I've also sold a few on this forum. I tried to put them in the classified section but I was told I had to become a vendor and post in the vendor section. Didn't do that.

Also- I use and have sold several with a tung oil finish. Supposedly, once cured tung oil dries to a shell and does not dissolve at boiling temps. I have heard that mineral or butcher block oil will hurt your head retention (although I have not seen this happen).

Just my $0.02. Good luck. They look awesome!

I used a titebond product that is rated for food contact and is waterproof. Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I have decided that I'm not going to sell any online, I just sold a business and don't really want to start another. However if anyone is in Chicago's far western suburbs however, check out the Homebrew Shop and maybe just maybe the owner will let me sell there.

Wow, those are really nice quality. Too bad we can't do business here, I'd certainly buy one from you.

Cheers, brother!

You can get Titebond II (which is rated food safe for making buthcer blocks/cutting boards) at Lowes or Home Depot. If you laminate with pressure it should withstand the heat of the mash..

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me just say that during the latest group buy that I ran (just now coming to a close) I was extremely fortunate to have met ylpaul2000. But I was even more fortunate to have received one of his paddles; I think it's the second one from the top in his picture. Let me tell you, this thing is of very high quality and it's a magnificent piece showing off some very nice turning technique on it. I can't wait to use it for my next brew day which will probably be in a week. If you get offered one by him, take it! Thank you, Paul!

They really are well done. I saw first hand the paddle ylpaul made for bmason. Its cherry with a walnut lamination and nothing short of top quality.

Those are beautiful. Just an idea, but what about having them unscrew in half like a pool cue. Make them smaller to take a but of the sting out of shipping.

I'm guessing getting one to Canada could be costly. . .

Either way, nice work!

Those are gorgeous. I would definitely buy one. I second whoever said you should put them in the classified on here. No need to start a business, just spread the mash paddle love ;)

Back