Gingerbread stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
Since I racked the Maple Pumpkin Ale to the secondary my primary fermenter was just sitting there disinfecting, so, I decided to make a Holiday Gingerbread Ale as suggested by my bro Lou. So I guess I'll call it Lou's Holiday Gingerbread Ale. This is again my own recipe as it is formulated from a recipe for Irish Stout Ale and a recipe for you guessed it gingerbread. I conglomerated the two and voila. It is fairly high gravity so I'm hoping the yeast I used will not be to high in alcohol tolerance and some of the sweetness will still be left in from the molasses, but, if not oh well just a good strong gingerbread smelling stout. Here is the recipe I cooked up tonight.

Gingerbread Stout

Ingredients

7.5 lbs. Amber Liquid Extract
0.5 lbs. Black Malt
0.5 lbs. 40-L Crystal Malt
0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley
12 oz. Robust Molasses
2 oz, Fuggles for 60 min.
1 oz Willamette for 10 min.
2 tsp. Ground Ginger for 10 min.
2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon for 10 min.
1 tsp. Whole Cloves for 10 min. (crush these between two spoons to get the flavor out.
1 tsp. gypsum (if needed for pH)
5 gal. water
1.5 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs Irish Ale WLP004

Brew Process

Brewed on 10/23/2005

Mash grain in 1 gal. water at 150-155 degrees for 1 hour
Sparge with 170 degree water
Add wort to brew pot and heat to 212 degrees
When wort temp. is at 212 degrees add malt extract, molasses, and Fuggles
At fifteen minutes to go in boil (1 hour boiling time) add the Irish Moss
At last 10 minutes of boil (1 hour boiling time) add the spices and Willamette
Cool the wort and pitch the yeast. I pitched at 70 degrees.

Fermentation

Original Gravity
Hydrometer reading was 1.074 Original Gravity is 1.075 corrected for temperature. The final gravity for this should be around 1.026.

MMMMMMMM! Sounds good! I already have most of the ingredients here at the house. All I have to buy is the Fuggles and the WL Irish yeast. This might have tho be my next batch. Well.........maybe I'll see how yours turns out first, and then maybe make some tweaks to it.

Back