Yeast Pitch Rate Calc Help - 1.093, 2 vials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turk10mm

Reaction score
I will soon be brewing my first big 1.092-3 beer. Jamil's MrMalty says that If I want to use 2 vials I need a 2.5-3 liter starter. Does that mean that I just need to pitch both vials in on 2.5 liter's of 1.040 wort?

If so, I have a 1000ml and a 2000ml flask. Can I pitch the yeast into the 2.5-3 liters of wort and then split it up between the 1 and 2 liter flasks?

I've been running my starter the morning before my brew, and by late that night when fermentation is going gang busters cold crashing it and then decanting and allowing to warm back up to room temperature.

For a big beer, should I let the starter ferment longer before cold crashing?

thanks for your help.

I'm not sure about pitching the yeast and then splitting up the starters because I wouldn't be sure that the yeast got distributed evenly.

I have just one 2000ml flask and for big beers I decided to go with a stir plate so all I would need is just the one flask and also use less yeast.

Most of my beers are over 1.060 and I follow Mr Malty's pitch rate calculator. I target 1.040 using BeerSmith, and let my starters go for three days on the stir plate at around 70 degrees ambient, then chill for 2 days in the fridge, decant on brewing day, let the starter rise to pitching temps, and then pitch when the wort is chilled.

I believe the answer to your question is no, you cannot split it between two flasks and expect to get the same growth rate. I believe there is a certain volume to cell ratio here. If you have a large amount of cells in a small amount of wort it equals less growth. Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in here, but that's my interpretation.

So are you cold crashing your starters at the height of activity? If this is the case then I would think you will be inhibiting the growth rate of the yeast by stopping them in action. Just my two cents...

I split my starters all the time, mainly between beer bottles since I don't feel like buying overpriced flasks. Pour all the starter wort in a pot. Add yeast and stir it well. Divide equally between your two flasks. You'll have the same number of cells/ml in each flask, which is all that matters.

I believe the answer to your question is no, you cannot split it between two flasks and expect to get the same growth rate. I believe there is a certain volume to cell ratio here. If you have a large amount of cells in a small amount of wort it equals less growth. Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in here, but that's my interpretation.

So are you cold crashing your starters at the height of activity? If this is the case then I would think you will be inhibiting the growth rate of the yeast by stopping them in action. Just my two cents...

Right, but if i pitch into all 3 liters, swirl, then decant two liters to one flask and one liter to another I assumed I'd have roughly the same number of beasties per liter in the wort?

I split my starters all the time, mainly between beer bottles since I don't feel like buying overpriced flasks. Pour all the starter wort in a pot. Add yeast and stir it well. Divide equally between your two flasks. You'll have the same number of cells/ml in each flask, which is all that matters.

that's what i was thinking too. it sounds logical to me at least.

I'm sure your method would work just fine, I just wouldn't go that route based off an assumption.

I know I wouldn't slurry up a starter and pitch it to two different worts and expect that each wort gets the right amount of yeast. Even though the cell count in the starter may be accurate for the two batches, I just don't think one can assume that it would be divided evenly.

I'm sure your method would work just fine, I just wouldn't go that route based off an assumption.

I know I wouldn't slurry up a starter and pitch it to two different worts and expect that each wort gets the right amount of yeast. Even though the cell count in the starter may be accurate for the two batches, I just don't think one can assume that it would be divided evenly.

Then what do you do with ten gallon batches split between two carboys? :confused:

I make a single starter, decant, swirl the yeast, and do my best to eyeball pouring between the two carboys. I can't imagine a practical alternative.

Back