What to brew for fall...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassionBeer

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm new into the homebrewing world. I just finished bottling my Belgian Tripel this past weekend and am itching to get something into my primary ASAP! I'm interested in doing something for the fall, with a pumpkin-like or Octoberfest-like flair. Unfortunately, I cannot lager anything right now, so can someone provide suggestions on something I could do?

I'm thinking about a Pumpkin Porter, or a traditional German-style Octoberfest [ale]. Are there any good recipes out there, that are on an intermediate level? I don't think I'm ready for an all grain yet - thanks.

:)

Im doing the Pumpkin recipe from Austin Homebrew this weekend.
After that my next fall beer is going to be the Alaskan Amber clone!

I'm not big on Oktoberfests or Pumpkin ales but for fall, I like making Hobgoblin clones, Porters, Altbiers (kind of lager/ale hybrid) and stouts. I'm itching to crank out Orfy's hobgoblin clone very soon. I did some major digging and found his AG recipe and plan on using that.

I'm doing NBs Black IPA. I think a Fat Tire clone would be really good as well.

Thanks for the replies. I'll search around. I really don't want to do a kit, I'd like to get a recipe and get all the ingredients myself. Are there any downfalls to like a Pumpkin Porter kit if you tweak some of it yourself or are you better off getting a recipe and all the ingredients yourself?

I def am doing my pumpkin ale soon and will be bottling an imperial smoked stout this weekend.

I also think there is a few decent winter lager clones that would be nice as well.

It seems to me as the outside temps drop my beers get darker...

I def am doing my pumpkin ale soon and will be bottling an imperial smoked stout this weekend.

I also think there is a few decent winter lager clones that would be nice as well.

It seems to me as the outside temps drop my beers get darker...

That seems to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for, a Pumpkin ale! If you come across any good (and moderately easy) recipes, please let me know?

There are many in the recipe section and they are super popular to brew right about now. The big question is can you get canned pumpkin without spices and the other BS they like to load in it? I am still looking...

The member passedpwn has a pumpkinless pumpkin beer that got great reviews.

I will probably hobble something together that uses molasses and/or real maple syrup as well as some spices based on other recipes here, just because I can and like to feel adventurous lol. I will continue the search for the pumpkin tonight. The problem is there was a pumpkin shortage last year and it is a "seasonal item" so I will probably get to pay a kings ransom for a few cans, if I can find them but rest assured I will be stocking up for next year!

GL!

That seems to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for, a Pumpkin ale! If you come across any good (and moderately easy) recipes, please let me know?

There are many in the recipe section and they are super popular to brew right about now. The big question is can you get canned pumpkin without spices and the other BS they like to load in it? I am still looking...

The member passedpwn has a pumpkinless pumpkin beer that got great reviews.

I will probably hobble something together that uses molasses and/or real maple syrup as well as some spices based on other recipes here, just because I can and like to feel adventurous lol. I will continue the search for the pumpkin tonight. The problem is there was a pumpkin shortage last year and it is a "seasonal item" so I will probably get to pay a kings ransom for a few cans, if I can find them but rest assured I will be stocking up for next year!

GL!

If you're looking for "real" canned pumpkin with no sugar or spices and you can't find any at a normal grocery store yet, try Whole Foods. I needed another can (had one left over from last year) for the one I brewed this weekend. My wife fou f the pumpkin at whole foods. It was organic and 2x as expensive, but if you need it, you'll likely find it there.

Personally, I like the color and mouthfeel that pumpkin gives (as opposed to going without). I've enjoyed the taste of pumpkin ales without actual pumpkin, but thoe color and feel are deal breakers for me.

I'm doing an American amber tomorrow, and probably a nut brown next week. I really like my "Fat Squirrel" clone. I plan another IPA, and then either a porter or oatmeal stout. That's the schedule for my next four weeks of brewing.

Back