How do you print your labels ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
I'd love to put labels on my bottles. Kind of the finishing touch.

Question - how/where do you print them ? If you use an ink jet, doesn't the ink run if you use milk to hold them on ? What if you put them in a cooler with come ice and it melts ?

I've always found ink jet ink to be expensive. We get our digital photos done at Costco, but that paper is way too thick. Isn't it expensive to print full color labels ?

Thanks.

Not for me. I pay around $8 for a set of ink cartridges that last month's.
I use PVA glue and seal with hairspray.

Cheap and easy. Plus I've started some kegging so just print one A4 label for the keg.

I print on an inkjet at home on plain paper. I use acrylic spray (clear coat or fixative) to keep the ink from running. I stick them on with a glue stick after cutting them out with an Xacto.

Buford: does that mean you reuse your labels on the next batch ? Or are they a one time thing ?

I usually don't bother to label, but my brother does and he has a good idea. He just labels a four pack worth of bottled beer. Drink them up first, fill with water, recap and place on the memorial shelf to great homebrews of the past. Label the four pack with your art. I use Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout four packs myself. Labels printed on a standard ink jet. Since you are only doing four, cost or labor is not a consideration.

The labels are permenant and the bottles are retired...Just like me. This was a particularly delicious and memorable batch. RIP BudBeer.

2hxpu0o.jpg

I use ink jet and hairspray to seal the ink, although I have experienced Ink running when a cold beer comes into a warm environment for a long time... but usually there beer has been consumed before this and the ink running doesn't happen, so I'm still more than happy to make my labels on the cheap. Besides, it's the design and appeal that counts, but only as a catalyst to make people willing to try the beer itself :D

I print mine out on a color laser printer and then apply them to the bottles with rubber cement. The color laser is nice as the ink won't run on the paper like when its printed from an inkjet. The rubber cement is really nice as it holds well and comes off the bottles so easy. If there is any residue left on the bottle just rub your thumb across it and its ready to go. Rinse, Rub, Re-use... That's my motto!

Latest posts

Back