Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notiniowa

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section or not...but anyway. What temperature should I try to maintain for cold crashing my beer? What temperature is TOO cold? How long do I need to crash it for? Will there still be enough yeast to carbonate once it's been crashed?

Thanks all!

Cheers

I cold crash around 34 because that's what my lager fridge stays at. They'll be plenty of yeast to carbonate with. Cold crashing just helps compact the sediment that's already dropped out. It will drop a little bit of the yeast out, but not enough to cause any problems.

I also had a cold crashing question hope you don't mind if I add it here. What kind of airlock do you like to use? Since it wants to pull air in as it cools down what is the best way to keep possible contaminates out but also let air in so my better bottle does not want to suck in air as I'm taking the lid off to put the racking cane in. Thanks

Back