how much star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
How much star san should I use per 5 gallons? The instructions on the back say on ounce per 5 gallons but it claims that needs to be air dried.

i mix up 4 litres at a time and use 3 ml starsan. i fill a spray bottle from this or pour some into the buckets/carboys and swish around. this amount usually lasts through brewing and kegging the batch as i mix with distilled water.

1 oz per 5 gal.

You don't really need to let it dry, I like to make sure everything is wet with starsan before I put any beer in it. From what I understand, starsan kills off 99.9% of microbes within 30 second of (wet) contact. Also, star san at the right concentration will not hurt your beer. It actually acts as a yeast nutrient.

Well I dont know what air drying has to do with the amount. Its exactly as the bottle says. 1oz per 5gallons. However I bet 90% of us dont air dry before use. If its okay to assemble when wet, then I bet its okay to use as wet. I have been rinsing all my utensils right before use including the kegs.

***edit**** when I said rinse , I meant a star san rinse..sorry.

I'm pretty sure it only says to let it air dry to reduce the foaming. It's not required.

1 oz per 5 gal.

starsan kills off 99.9% of microbes within 30 second of (wet) contact. Also, star san at the right concentration will not hurt your beer. It actually acts as a yeast nutrient.

+1

I heard one of the 5-Star guys(makers of Star San) say the same things during an episode of Brew Strong.

air drying and the long contact time are FDA requirements.

per the podcast, 30 seconds of wet contact...you're set.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but there's hardly any reason to mix a full 5 gallons at a time unless you're using distilled water and keeping it in a covered bucket for long term storage.

I typically mix it in either 1/2 or 1 gallon volumes and use a small hypo to dose the starsan in. It would be 3ml or 6ml respectively. That's kinda hard to do without small measuring devices. About a teaspoon and a quarter is right for 1 gallon.

Starsan oir iodophor - same concentration sanitizer. 6 ml / gal or 1 oz (30 ml) / 5 gal. My hydrometer tube is a pyrex 100 ml graduated cylinder and it serves many uses :) Perhaps not as accurate as a syringe or pipette but good enough accuracy for sanitizer.

1.5mL for a 32oz spray bottle! I let my stuff have at least 30 seconds contact time before it comes in contact with my wort. Don't fear the foam.

Latest posts

Back