corn sugar vs. alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
Im sure theres lots of noobs like me wondering exactly how much corn sugar it takes to raise the ABV by approx. 1% or 2%?

if your looking to boost your ABV, why not look at the recipe's base rather than using Corn sugar to boost it...

but just look at overall gravity vs final gravity....

beer software will help you with this (online tool that I find useful is Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator)

But according to BeerCalculus, 2.2 oz of corn sugar (Dextrose) would give you 1%abv in a 5 gallon batch of this fermented sugar water based off of "standard settings"

but also remember your yeast needs to be able handle whatever abv you want to achieve I think using a little bit more malt extract (or a slightly lower batch volume) would produce better results than adding dextrose - it just tastes better IMHO than "trying to bump it up"

This comes up from time to time...but no, 2.2oz corn sugar will not increase ABV by 1%, even in a 1 gallon recipe, nevermind a 5 gallon.

As a general rule, with plenty of room for error, a 5 gallon batch of beer will see a net increase of approximately 1.2% ABV with the addition of one pound of corn sugar. This is assuming the corn sugar measures out to 46 gravity points, which is an estimation in my example.

1 lb corn sugar: ~1.046 for 1 gallon water depending on who you ask/where you look/how you measure.

Back