Airlock and Blowoff question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmanbt

Reaction score
Yesterday I came home to see that my fermentor was going crazy and foam/yeast/the stuff on top was coming up into my airlock. I use a plastic bucket, so I didn't think it was going to be a problem. So as soon as I saw that, I sprung into action and quickly got a blow off tube going. To do this though, I had to take out the gromit so my siphon tube could fit into the hole. Is it ok to leave the blow off tube during the entire primary fermentation? If not, then I am probably going to have to take the lid off so I can reattach the gromit so I can re-mount the airlock. Thank you all!

Yes. I do that through nearly the entire fermentation. I only put an airlock on the last day or so, when I move it to a slightly warmer area to let the yeast finish up any work they need to do.

I ferment in the lower range between 60-65, but in either case, you will be fine. Most people don't catch that until it pops off the top!

I have fermenters sitting on day 30 with the blowoff tube still attached. Usually I have to switch out with airlocks so I can reuse the tubes for another batch, but this time I didn't need them so I left them alone. I figure if it works for commercial breweries, it works OK on a home scale too...

sweet. thanks. I was just curious because (i forgot to mention) my blowoff tube probably isn't set up in the most optimal way. Since this was an unforseen event, my fermentor is on the floor. My blow off tube is my siphon tube which is 6 feet long, so it is coming out of my fermentor, wrapped around one of my daughters stuffed animals (it's what I had closest to me in my hasty rigging) and into a canning jar of boiled/cooled water. Some of the tubing goes slightly uphill, so some junk is sitting in the tubes. Will this pose a problem?

Try to get your reception vessel lower than the fermenter, if you can. Prop the fermenter up on a table or milk crate, whatever will hold it. That should keep your blowoff tube from clogging.

RDWHAHB

No worries about leaving a blow off tube for the entire fermentation. Just think of it as an industrial size airlock. You may want to put a bit of sanitizer in the blow off bottle, just in case.

RDWHAHB

No worries about leaving a blow off tube for the entire fermentation. Just think of it as an industrial size airlock. You may want to put a bit of sanitizer in the blow off bottle, just in case.

+1 on that. I've been leaving the blow-off tubes during primary for about 2 weeks and it works like a charm. However, the blow-off water sometimes becomes moldy, so putting some sanitizer in the water is a safe route to go.. It also might be good to change it once in a while, but leaving it as is for 2 weeks hasn't ruined any batches for me.

I use a blowoff for the entire primary fermentation for every ale i make. I use a 1g jug with starsan solution in it to submerge the other end of the hose it, and sometimes have as many as 3 hoses heading in there.

I got this idea from someone else on this board.

You can use one of those 3-piece plastic airlocks to make your blow-off tube. Use only the main body of the airlock. On the bottom of the airlock tube, i.e. part that sticks in the grommet on the fermenter, you will see it comes to a point and has an X cut into it. Cut the X away or about 1/4 inch. This will fully open the airlock tube. Insert the airlock back into your grommet and attach a 1/2 inch ID plastic tube (about 5 or 6 feet long) over the airlock tube. Runs this into a vessel with water as everyone described above.

With this set up, after 4 or 5 days when the threat of a blow off subsides, you can just pull out the blow off set-up and insert a regular airlock.

Dennis

sweet. thanks. I was just curious because (i forgot to mention) my blowoff tube probably isn't set up in the most optimal way. Since this was an unforseen event, my fermentor is on the floor. My blow off tube is my siphon tube which is 6 feet long, so it is coming out of my fermentor, wrapped around one of my daughters stuffed animals (it's what I had closest to me in my hasty rigging) and into a canning jar of boiled/cooled water. Some of the tubing goes slightly uphill, so some junk is sitting in the tubes. Will this pose a problem?

I've had the junk in the tube harden and become impossible to remove. Since this is your siphon tube, I would try to replace it with an airlock fairly soon so you can clean out the tube.

I've had the junk in the tube harden and become impossible to remove. Since this is your siphon tube, I would try to replace it with an airlock fairly soon so you can clean out the tube.

A good soak in hot water and PBW dissolves most anything, but the tubing is probably only good for 3-4 uses.

If fermentation has slowed (1-2 weeks in the primary), would it be harmful to remove the blowoff and replace it with an airlock? Would that allow too much oxygen in?

I'm not sure about this, so I just leave it alone.

If you want, go ahead and replace the blow off tube. CO2 is heavier than air. By the time that fermentation is beginning to subside the head space in your fermenter is filled with CO2. This buffer will keep out any O2.

Sierra Nevada uses open fermenters and has some cool time lapse videos on there site.

I agree. The blowoff problem will occur in the first few days so after the activity starts to slow down, put in a regular airlock. If you have gunk in your blow off tube it will be much easier to get it out at that point than 2 weeks later.

To clean that tube use anything with pressure to blow it out. A carboy/bottle washing nozzel works well or just a typical hose nozzel.

Dennis

It's my first batch. The wort has been in the fermenter (1-gallon) for 2 weeks...and I just realized today that I confused the instructions. Here's what I did:

- Put wort in fermenter, fitted with blow-off tube; tube end out of bottle is in bowl of sanitizer and submerged

- Left in the fermenter, fitted with the blow-off tube, for 2 weeks. Instructions said leave for 3 days, then put in airlock.

- I forgot about the airlock until tonight - 2 weeks after the beginning of fermentation - but fitted it per the instructions. Beer is still bubbling.

Not sure how sensitive this stuff is yet. From what I read here, all should be OK...but no one has posted about doing exactly what I did. Should all be well for me? Any help is great. Thanks!

Jeff

I got this idea from someone else on this board.

You can use one of those 3-piece plastic airlocks to make your blow-off tube. Use only the main body of the airlock. On the bottom of the airlock tube, i.e. part that sticks in the grommet on the fermenter, you will see it comes to a point and has an X cut into it. Cut the X away or about 1/4 inch. This will fully open the airlock tube. Insert the airlock back into your grommet and attach a 1/2 inch ID plastic tube (about 5 or 6 feet long) over the airlock tube. Runs this into a vessel with water as everyone described above.

With this set up, after 4 or 5 days when the threat of a blow off subsides, you can just pull out the blow off set-up and insert a regular airlock.

Dennis

Yahh and you can simply insert a hose into an "S" type airlock.... I like the S types better for some reason :) (pun intended :)

Need some help here. It's my first batch- an Irish stout. Within 12 hours I was bubbling like crazy with kraeusen gumming up my airlock. I took it out and cleaned it and put it back. While I was out, sometime around the 24 hour mark the airlock exploded and I spent an hour cleaning the walls and ceiling. This morning there was virtually no activity in the carboy. The airlock may have been out for a couple of hours. Is there still hope for this batch?

Need some help here. It's my first batch- an Irish stout. Within 12 hours I was bubbling like crazy with kraeusen gumming up my airlock. I took it out and cleaned it and put it back. While I was out, sometime around the 24 hour mark the airlock exploded and I spent an hour cleaning the walls and ceiling. This morning there was virtually no activity in the carboy. The airlock may have been out for a couple of hours. Is there still hope for this batch?

no worries, just clean the airlock and be patient.

The walls and ceiling are your only worries.

Should I expect any more noticeable activity or do I just let it sit for 2 weeks regardless?

Back