Kilning/Roasting base 2-row to get specialty malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
So, I've got this huge bag of Rahr 2-row I just bought (man it makes me feel warm on my inside-y parts to have that much grain sitting around).

I want to be able to make amber malt, chocolate malt, black patent, etc.--is this as simple as throwing it in the oven and raising the temperature for a period of time? How about a cast iron pan on the gas-fired cooktop/brew kettle burner? Does anyone do this?

Thanks!
jkpq45

Well, the good news is my first batch I'll be roasting the pale 2-row on is a BJCP 13-F Imperial Stout. So, I'll need brown and chocolate malt (perhaps black patent).

So, if I burn it, I still have 49 or so lbs to go, plus part of the malt I need is mostly burned anyway. The $0.75/lb I paid for the 2-row plus the electricity is going to be cheaper than the $4/lb the LHBS sells specialty malts for.

From what I have read in the past you should let the roasted malt sit in a paper bag a few days after roasting. I guess it stabilizes in moisture or something along those lines. You should be able to purchase specialty malts cheaper through online vendors and just store it for brewing when needed but experimentation is always fun. Good luck and let us know if you are getting good results.

Back