Lager lag time- what is normal- need advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southpaw

Reaction score
After brewing a few ales successfully and having rigged a small lagerator I decided brew my first lager. This is a 5 gal. vienna lager kit from MoreBeer. The wort temp was 65 when pitched. I had hydrated the yeast before pitching but do not know the temp. of it when pitched. (approx. 75F) Used Saflager s-23.

It has been 36 hours and no sign of fermentation yet. What is normal and when should I be concerned?

I have slowly brought the temp down to 59 F and will hold it around that until I see some action.

Also--Since I could only get a 5 gal. bucket into the lagerator I took 1/2 gal. out of the bucket to give it some head space. I put the 1/2 gal into a jug and placed it next to the bucket. It contains the exact pitched wort as bucket. After 12 hours the jug started fermenting aggressively. Now after 36 hours the bucket still shows no signs of fermentation.

Again, when should I be concerned and what should my course of action be?

I'd do nothing. Go do something else for a few days, then check on it. Cold lager temps take longer to get going.

Back