Bulk Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaine

Reaction score
What is everyones opinion on bulk priming ? I've never really seen any advantage but some swear by it! Am I missing something ?

You can prime with anything really... honey, molasis, DME is good, but it will take longer to prime as well as the other options I mentioned. Your choice or prmmer will also possbily give a taste as well. You simply dissolve the primming sugar in a couple of cups of water, boil it for a bit then cool it. You dump this mixture in the bottling bucket and siphon your beer on this. The siphon action will mix the solution very well so you dont need to stir it(and risk oxidation). Some stir half way into bottling... I have found no reason to do this.

I switched over to bulk priming a few batches ago. It's much easier, and once you've done a few batches, you have quite a bit of control over the amount of carbonation you get.

OK if I am making Pils and priming with DME will this not spoil the finish ? Is it possible to prime with LME( to maintain trueness and consistancey of the Pils flavor/ finish)? About 180gms in 22L sound about right?

Blaine said:
OK if I am making Pils and priming with DME will this not spoil the finish ? Is it possible to prime with LME( to maintain trueness and consistancey of the Pils flavor/ finish)? About 180gms in 22L sound about right?

Usually us Yanks say to use 1.25 cups DME per 5gal batch...

(We will deal in volume instead of mass because it is easy to measure) Now, DME is about 10% more potent than LME per unit of volume, so take 1.25*1.10 to get 1.375 cups of LME. Converting to SI would be about 325 cl. So boil 325 cl of LME for a 5gal batch.
But, you're doing 22L which is about 5.8 gallons...
So, 325cl * (5.8/5) = 377cl

Use 377cl of LME boiled with about 500cl of water for 5 min, cool while keeping sanitary, and mix into your 22L batch. Bottle, wait 3 weeks, and enjoy!
:mug:

Cheer mate, greatful as always. There is yet to be a question that cant be answered on this site buy my esteemed fellow brewers

Blaine said:
OK if I am making Pils and priming with DME will this not spoil the finish ? Is it possible to prime with LME( to maintain trueness and consistancey of the Pils flavor/ finish)?
just to be clear, the D & L in DME/LME are "dry" & "liquid"... not dark and light.

Lou said:
just to be clear, the D & L in DME/LME are "dry" & "liquid"... not dark and light.

Perhaps, however it appears that DME and LME are double entendres as many theads on this forum use the term refering to Dark and Light malt extract.

Once you do a few batches you will get the hang of the carbonation thing, but it also really depends on what your brewing as well as how you like it. For instance, if your brewing a wheat you would want to use more then if you were brewing say a stout. Then your taste comes in play too... I personally do not like beer that is heavily carbonated. So I generally go easy on the primmer. Other people like a lot of carbonation. Though you want to be carefull here as it just as easy to overcarbonate as it is to undercarbonate (and a bit more hazzardous I would add).

Appoligies all I stand corrected. I guess you cant belive every bit of advise you recieve on our forum. This is where I was advised of these acronyms.

Back