partial mash in an igloo cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmart0104

Reaction score
I will be brewing shortly and was going to be using a igloo cooler and a couple of muslin bags to do a partial mash.
Was goign to mash at 154 for 30 min and will be using an igloo cooler and putting the bags into it and putting the cover on.

This is new to me i usually just put in boil pot and remove at about 160.

Any tips before i go through with this.

are you MASHING base grains (2-row, 6-row, pilsner, munich, biscuit, victory, vienna) ? or STEEPING specialty grains (black malt, cara*, chocolate, roasted)?

mashing at 153/154° is good, but I don't know if 30 minutes is long enough for conversion. higher temps (156°) for shorter times (45 minutes) for fuller body & lower temps (148°) for longer times (75 minutes) for lighter body

steeping at 154 for 30 minutes is good.

a "partial mash" is any amount of those base grains mashed to conversion with extract added later, in the boil

steeping specialty grains and adding extract is still only extract brewing

that said; using your method, mashing for 45-75 minutes, or steeping for 30 sounds like it will work and the beer will be tasty and good. the only limitation is the size of your cooler

I steeped
1lbs of flaked oats
1lbs of chocolate malt
.75 lbs of roasted barley
.38lbs of black patent malt
.38lbs of dark crystal

I had a tough time getting temp up to 154. I started with a temp around 170 and brought it way to far down when i added the grain.

I used three muslin bags. I had other water heating up so I could keep the temp up if it did fall. I could only get the temp to about 148-152 for about 50 min.

Is this going to effect the beer a lot?

I then sparged with 160 degree water and started to heat water up added 7 lbs of dry amber malt extract then at boil I stared my hop additions.

This is for a chocolate coffee stout.

I steeped
1lbs of flaked oats
1lbs of chocolate malt
.75 lbs of roasted barley
.38lbs of black patent malt
.38lbs of dark crystal

I had a tough time getting temp up to 154. I started with a temp around 170 and brought it way to far down when i added the grain.

I used three muslin bags. I had other water heating up so I could keep the temp up if it did fall. I could only get the temp to about 148-152 for about 50 min.

Is this going to effect the beer a lot?

I then sparged with 160 degree water and started to heat water up added 7 lbs of dry amber malt extract then at boil I stared my hop additions.

This is for a chocolate coffee stout.

When I steep I use the oven. Heat your water to about 10 degrees warmer than you want, add the grain, stir it up, put a cover on and pop it in the oven for 30 min....the temp will hold nicely and precision temp control is not critical in steeping (unless you go above 170 for too long).

Back